mercruiser 7.4 (L29) firing order

1990dtgl98

Seaman
Hey everyone.

I have a 1999 mercruiser 7.4 (L29) engine in my sea ray that I've been having issues with.

Part of the problem was a backfire thst was persistent and low power. I replaced the plugs and coil and rewired it, now it won't fire off.

I was using the mercruiser manual:

20210606_150929.jpg

My plug and distributor looks like this:

20210606_164454.jpg

So going by that I routed all my wires the following way.

20210606_170145.jpg

But now she won't even fire, much less misfire. I don't see anything about rotation in the manual. Is there something I'm missing?

20210606_164501.jpg

Last edited:

dwco5051

Commander
have you checked for good consistent spark at the coil lead?
Could be something simple like an pulled lanyard for the safety kill switch. Did you pull the distributor or have anything else off. Need a little more info on what been checked up to now.

1990dtgl98

Seaman
have you checked for good consistent spark at the coil lead?

Yes. I actually went back to the previous coil that was in when the boat ran (but misfired).

Could the previous owner have installed the rotor 180*?

1990dtgl98

Seaman
Could be something simple like an pulled lanyard for the safety kill switch. Need a little more info.

Could be something simple like an pulled lanyard for the safety kill switch. Did you pull the distributor or have anything else off. Need a little more info on what been checked up to now.

Distributor has not been off. Pulled wires and plugs and put new ones on. Then reran all the wires as the manual stated.

Knowing I was replacing the wires I didn't check the order they were in when I pulled them off the cap. Just figured I would go by the service manual.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Yes. I actually went back to the previous coil that was in when the boat ran (but misfired).

Could the previous owner have installed the rotor 180*?
okay, but did you actually verify good consistent spark?

would be next to impossible to install the rotor 180 off

have you inspected under the distributor cap? usually when replacing the plugs its a good idea to r and r the cap/rotor as well

tpenfield

Staff member
It looks very different than my 1996 (gen 6) wire layout, although the firing order is the same as what you have. Did you verify the position of the rotor inside the distributor with the engine at #1 TDC on the compression stroke?

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Here are the approximate locations on my Gen 6 454 (shown in green)

20210606_170145.jpeg

1990dtgl98

Seaman
okay, but did you actually verify good consistent spark?

would be next to impossible to install the rotor 180 off

have you inspected under the distributor cap? usually when replacing the plugs its a good idea to r and r the cap/rotor as well

I used a inline tester and had spark on all points.

I did put an order in for a cap and rotor. Figure I might as well do that now.

tpenfield

Staff member
@1990dtgl98 I think you were responding to a prior post while I was posting my replies . . . just want to make sure you saw them above . .

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I used a inline tester and had spark on all points.
okay, seeing as how you didn't check the firing order on the old wires there's the possibility that you may not have connected the #1 wire to the proper post.

best course of action is to pull the cap, verify TDC #1 compression, note rotor rotation, then you can attach the leads accordingly

keep in mind you will need at least a service mode plug at the diagnostic harness lead to properly time the ignition

tpenfield

Staff member
My engines run . . . Not sure if you have checked the position of the rotor at #1 TDC

1990dtgl98

Seaman
okay, seeing as how you didn't check the firing order on the old wires there's the possibility that you may not have connected the #1 wire to the proper post.

best course of action is to pull the cap, verify TDC #1 compression, note rotor rotation, then you can attach the leads accordingly

keep in mind you will need at least a service mode plug at the diagnostic harness lead to properly time the ignition

I guess my concern was if they previous owner had it set on tdc for exhaust the rotor could be 180* from where it should be.

1990dtgl98

Seaman
Maybe I'm
engine would not run if the distributor was out 180
Maybe I'm having a brain fart.

But my manual shows #8 as the rear most (toward the transom) point on the distributor. Tpen and other quick searches online show #8 as the front most pin. I'm wondering why they're esentially opposites.

Bondo

Staff member
Maybe I'm

Maybe I'm having a brain fart.

But my manual shows #8 as the rear most (toward the transom) point on the distributor. Tpen and other quick searches online show #8 as the front most pin. I'm wondering why they're esentially opposites.
Ayuh,..... You need to bring #1 cylinder to Tdc, compression stroke,.....
The #1 on the distributor cap is whichever post the rotor is pointed at,.....
There's no particular post that has to be #1, like in the pictures,....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You cannot go by that if the dist was clocked differently. #1 can be anywhere o n the cap depending on how the dist was previously installed. You could try removing #1 plug and dist cap. crank engine listening for the rush of air from #1` and looking to where the rotor is pointing

1990dtgl98

Seaman
Gotcha. Looks like I'll be waiting till my cap and rotor get in, then finding tdc and going from there.