Mercruiser 5.0mpi w/yamaha outdrive

kdc808

Cadet
I have a 2008 mercruiser 5.0mpi with a yamaha sterndrive. Does anyone know if it's possible to swap the yamaha outdrive for a mercruiser? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

kdc808

Cadet
I have a 2008 mercruiser 5.0mpi w/Yamaha outdrive. Wondering if I can swap the Yamaha outdrive to a mercruiser outdrive. Any tips/info would be appreciated. Thank you

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I have a 2008 mercruiser 5.0mpi with a yamaha sterndrive. Does anyone know if it's possible to swap the yamaha outdrive for a mercruiser? Thank you
Are you sure about what you have? Only a psychopath would put a yamaha drive to replace a (probably) bravo mercruiser. Pretty sure that that entails at the very least new transom plates, full exhaust.

kdc808

Cadet
Are you sure about what you have? Only a psychopath would put a yamaha drive to replace a (probably) bravo mercruiser. Pretty sure that that entails at the very least new transom plates, full exhaust.
I'm a 100% positive. It's a headache

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like someone already had a boat with a Yamaha drive and replaced the original engine with a later model Merc.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Yea I'm guessing. Don't have much background info on it
For some reason I thought that the hull and engine were the original and '08, and they put a yamaha on it. So it depends on how they cobbled it together. You'll need at least the full merc driveline (drive, transom plate, gimbel housing), exhaust manis/elbows/y-pipe. Flywheel/coupler? IDK if the PS setup is different on the yamaha, but may need that as well. Power trim motor/hoses...
Good news is the cut out is the same, so it's doable with enough parts. Might want to look for a parts boat with a bad hull, because you're bound to run into parts that you forgot about.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep that's the way to do it.
one of these days, I MIGHT convert my OMC over to Merc...

Scott06

Admiral
I have a 2008 mercruiser 5.0mpi with a yamaha sterndrive. Does anyone know if it's possible to swap the yamaha outdrive for a mercruiser? Thank you
Yes I think the transom hole is the same or similar. Your best bet is to find a used tear out with transom assembly and drive, otherwise piecing it together will kill you.
what boat is it in ? If you can use an alpha gen two that cheaper than a bravo.
you may be able to find a junk boat cracked block etc to get all the parts you need to mate up with your mpi

kdc808

Cadet
It's a 22 cabo cuddycon. Just weighing out options. The setup runs fine but sometimes shifting between neutral and forward it won't fully engage in forward. Then has a hard time finding neutral

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yamaha sterndrives are much older than 2008

kdc808

Cadet
Howzit going guys. 2008 mercruiser 5.0mpi with DTS controls going to a 1989 4.3 yamaha outdrive. If I shift from reverse to neutral the outdrive will still be in idle reverse while control says neutral. Then mercruiser dts gives a shift actuator fault code. This also happens when shifting from forward to neutral. Sometimes shifting from neutral to forward it will only partially engage. Having 2 different systems mashed together is a headache

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Howzit going guys. 2008 mercruiser 5.0mpi with DTS controls going to a 1989 4.3 yamaha outdrive. If I shift from reverse to neutral the outdrive will still be in idle reverse while control says neutral. Then mercruiser dts gives a shift actuator fault code. This also happens when shifting from forward to neutral. Sometimes shifting from neutral to forward it will only partially engage. Having 2 different systems mashed together is a headache
the DTS controls are calibrated for a mercruiser drive the shift force and total stroke of the drive are paired with the actuators by design

the yamaha drive requires simple controls (basically a stick with a cable attached) Shifting the yamaha drive requires a bit more force than the mercruiser drive. so the actuator is most likely hanging up.

could also be corroded cables on the DTS actuator.

you are trying to pair an apple watch with a rotary telephone. my recommendation is either ditch the DTS, or get a different drive.

kdc808

Cadet
I bought the boat like this. First few trips it was fine. Trust me I want change the controls to basic cables but from what I've read removing the DTS system is not so simple. I ordered a new DTS actuator not sure if that'll be a waste of money though

kdc808

Cadet
I have a 2008 mercruiser 5.0 mpi with DTS going to a yamaha outdrive. Having a problem shifting from reverse or forward back to neutral. Control will be in neutral but outdrive will still be in idle forward or reverse. Then I get a shift actuator fault. Actuator has been ordered but wondering if I could just go back to regular cable controls. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

tpenfield

Staff member
MODERATOR COMMENT: @kdc808 's several threads on the Merc-Yamaha issue have been merged as they are related. Sorry if some of the dialog is a bit choppy in the initial posts.