Mercruiser 5.0 Won’t Reach Operating Temp

dremison

Seaman
Update: ran it on muffs on the outdrive and having no temperature issues. Must be something wrong w my top down system. Crisis averted. An overheating boat is scary.

Fun Times

Staff member
You you’re destroying the rubber impeller which is located in the stern drive.., by running the engine through the flush system the impeller is not getting the needed water which it needs to cool the impeller and up to the engine… that’s why it’s overheating.

dremison

Seaman
You you’re destroying the rubber impeller which is located in the stern drive.., by running the engine through the flush system the impeller is not getting the needed water which it needs to cool the impeller and up to the engine… that’s why it’s overheating.
Understood. It was never an issue before so I’m curious why it popped up today. Not overheating anymore but now I’m hoping o haven’t been frying my impeller every time I ran it like that.

dremison

Seaman
Understood. It was never an issue before so I’m curious why it popped up today. Not overheating anymore but now I’m hoping o haven’t been frying my impeller every time I ran it like that.
Should I look to replace the impeller at this point, then? Doesn’t look like too bad of a job.
Super Helpful

Fun Times

Staff member
Honestly you have been and you’ll be having to do a new impeller very much sooner then you’d normally need to do.

dremison

Seaman
Honestly you have been and you’ll be having to do a new impeller very much sooner then you’d normally need to do.
Man, my face is a bit red on this one. I completely misunderstood the point of that circulation system, then.
Thank you for the help!

Fun Times

Staff member
Happens more often then not so don’t beat yourself down over it I’m just happy we’re all able to help / work together at pinpointing what seemed to be happening all of a sudden. The photo really helped.
Happy boating this season.👍

dremison

Seaman
Happens more often then not so don’t beat yourself down over it I’m just happy we’re all able to help / work together at pinpoint what seemed to be happening all of a sudden. The photo really helped.
Happy boating this season.👍
Headed to West Marine to make another “donation” now. How long would you guess I have before I need to pull the trigger on the swap? Rough estimate is fine…

Fun Times

Staff member
I’d say 15-20 times for a few mins each.
As soon as possible than as with this design while it’s a very hardy type impeller that can last the longest out of all the types used in a marine engine environment, the tips should be either breaking down or starting to melt/ burning up inside and causing wear to the stainless steel housing which you’ll want to buy as well using your Stern drive serial number.
You need a certain amount of water flow for normal operation so you really should want to do it as soon as possible hopefully before your next trip out honestly especially if you have a big day planned…, you’ll be changing the drive oil too when doing the impeller. Buy 3 quarts though it’s usually a bit over 2 quarts used.

dremison

Seaman
As soon as possible than as with this design while it’s a very hardy type impeller that can last the longest out of all the types used in a marine engine environment, the tips should be either breaking down or starting to melt/ burning up inside and causing wear to the stainless steel housing which you’ll want to buy as well using your Stern drive serial number.
You need a certain amount of water flow for normal operation so you really should want to do it as soon as possible hopefully before your next trip out honestly especially if you have a big day planned…, you’ll be changing the drive oil too when doing the impeller. Buy 3 quarts though it’s usually a bit over 2 quarts used.
Alrighty…assuming this is the right kit, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11

Fun Times

Staff member
Alrighty…assuming this is the right kit, I’ll let you know how it goes.
Sorry nope that’s not the right one…you should have an Alpha stern drive and that impeller is for the engine mounted Bravo drive system unless you happen to have an engine mounted water pump which is usually on lower side of the Chances of having but not impossible either.

dremison

Seaman
Sorry nope that’s not the right one…you should have an Alpha stern drive and that impeller is for the engine mounted Bravo drive system unless you happen to have an engine mounted water pump which is usually on lower side of the Chances of having but not impossible either.
Yeah, it’s a bravo 3 stern drive and the pump is indeed under the engine. Couldn’t be easy..

Fun Times

Staff member
Yeah, it’s a bravo 3 stern drive and the pump is indeed under the engine. Couldn’t be easy..
Odd, your engine serial number 0M663009 suggests the engine Application is an Alpha stern drive so that is what was leading me to say most of the above Conversation… it all still holds the same just with a different location of items mentioned… These impellers are a bit more fragile vs the Alpha drives and should be changed out much more often…
You still need to use the muffs when running the engine …The up top was more meant to flush the engine while in the water and engine off.

dremison

Seaman
Odd, your engine serial number 0M663009 suggests the engine Application is an Alpha stern drive so that is what was leading me to say most of the above Conversation… it all still holds the same just with a different location of items mentioned… These impellers are a bit more fragile vs the Alpha drives and should be changed out much more often…
You still need to use the muffs when running the engine …The up top was more meant to flush the engine while in the water and engine off.
Good to know. I bought it in November and have no idea when it was done last. I’m sure I didn’t help it along but it sounds like I was going to need to do it anyway at some point. Thank you very much for your help and I’ll post pictures of the impeller replacement as I go along.
Dave

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Thank you very much for your help and I’ll post pictures of the impeller replacement as I go along.
FYI that style bravo pump has a plastic housing that should be replaced along with the impeller. Merc sells a kit with impeller, plate, housing, seal and hardware for the job. Only parts needed from the old pump are the lock washers and nuts to mount to the bracket

dremison

Seaman
FYI that style bravo pump has a plastic housing that should be replaced along with the impeller. Merc sells a kit with impeller, plate, housing, seal and hardware for the job. Only parts needed from the old pump are the lock washers and nuts to mount to the bracket
This is the one you’re talking about, right?

Attachments

• C2D400DA-DF6B-4E53-A673-0B8039A76DFC.png
    C2D400DA-DF6B-4E53-A673-0B8039A76DFC.png
    3 MB · Views: 4

alldodge

Staff member
What do you recommend at this point?
Having a water connection like that you should have a Bravo drive.
Does your water connection use a valve that is closed before running?
If it does then I would go back to the Stat housing. Check the balls going to the elbows.

Scott06

Admiral
Update: replaced the new thermostat and I did have the top gasket in the wrong spot. Got up to temperature under load and stayed there.
However, it started to overheat when I got it home and used a hose - never done that before. Is that normal?
Might be the position of your muffs I found if mine are not exactly right it will overheat even though water is moving through it