Mercruiser 4.3 flooded at WOT

Hit It

Seaman
So a couple of weeks ago we were out on the lake and my wife was trying to pull me up on a slalom ski. With me being a bit larger than I used to be it takes about everything the engine can give to yank me out of the water. Anyway, I was almost up and she mistakenly thought I was down and suddenly cut the throttle all the way back. When she did that the engine sputtered for a couple of seconds and died. I checked and sure enough the carb was flooded. I was able to get it started again a few minutes later by putting it at full throttle in neutral and cranking the engine for 10 seconds or so. Seemed to run fine after that but my confidence in the engine was shaken. Does it make sense to you guys that suddenly cutting the throttle back while under a heavy load could cause it to flood, or should I look for other potential issues? This was the first time this has happened since we've had the boat, about 5 years now.

It's a 1990 Mercruiser 4.3 liter V6 with the 2 barrel mercarb. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

alldodge

Staff member
If it did it again I would look into a carb rebuild, but just this once probably not. Could be things were just at the right spot in time for it to happen. Note the float level is set with the carb level, so if the bow is up, its pouring fuel in to get up and then shut down, it might just have a bit to much to swallow (so to speak)

Bondo

Staff member
If it did it again I would look into a carb rebuild, but just this once probably not.

Ayuh,..... As usual, I gotta agree with AD,.... Could be just a fluke,...