Mercruiser 4.3 Delco Distributor Question

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1999 Mercruiser 4.3 recently rebuilt and I'm thinking of upgrading to a Delco ignition system I have the right coil and wiring harness from a previous engine that had that type of ignition system and I have a distributor from a early model Chevy Blazer with a 4.3. My question is what is the difference between the auto and marine version, is the ignition control module different? I can't see spending 400 dollars on a new system when I can possibly use what I have. Thanks in advance.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
what is the difference between the auto and marine version, is the ignition control module different? I can't see spending 400 dollars on a new system when I can possibly use what I have
marine ignition systems are spark protected meaning if there are fuel vapors present they will have little to no chance of causing a fire or worse

most auto ignition modules do not have the same timing advance curve that a marine module does

is there an issue with the current (i'm guessing) thunderbolt ignition?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What is wrong with the thunderbolt ignition in there now. Much better than the delco

Do not use an auto dizzy in a boat unless you like playing with buckets of gas and lit road flares......thats a good way to meet your maker

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Is the Delco stand alone on any auto applications anyway? Can't think of a scenario where the ignition isn't tied to the ecu. Also curious on the marine specific aspects of the dizzy? The cap has a 90' vent, but in a non points ignition?

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is the Delco stand alone on any auto applications anyway? Can't think of a scenario where the ignition isn't tied to the ecu. Also curious on the marine specific aspects of the dizzy? The cap has a 90' vent, but in a non points ignition?

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
The Delco in an auto application is usually tied to a ECU, that is where my question comes from, if you look at the attached the four pin connector that is wired to the ECU on auto applications is not used in marine other than for setting the timing. That is what prompted my question regarding the ignition control module, is there differences in the marine version? I do have the Thunderbolt System that came with the ignition, however the guy I go the engine from had said it may have an ignition problem, haven't fired it up yet. I looked at the cost of replacement Thunderbolt Systems and they were pretty pricey. I'm curious regarding Scott's comment, I have a distributor from a late model 3.0 Mercruiser and it looks almost the same as the Blazer Distributor (4 cyl vs 6cyl), closed cap to plate, attach screws etc. so what dilatates a marine Delco? Thanks for all the comments and discussion, look forward to any more info/expertise that can be provided. Thanks again, this site is Sierra Hotel!

Attachments

• ICM-1 copy.jpg
    ICM-1 copy.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 2

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I cannot address any difference in the control module in the Voyager, but I have Delco Voyager on my boat's V6. Entire setup costs much less than replacing the failed TboltIV module I had, and so far, runs pretty much the same. No complaints at all. Been faultless.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If it's not SAE-J1171 rated, it has no place in a boat. And putting it there can lead to šŸ’„

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
basically
full

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep the marine Prestolites I have (got 2 spares) all have screens in them. This prevents fuel vapor that gets inside the distributor from causing an explosion or fire. Same as a backfire flame arrestor.