Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI Identification tag

Rinker915

Recruit
Late last year I bought a Crownline with a 350 Mag MPI Bravo3 in it and It felt hard to shift into reverse and throttle, so got it out of storage and took it to my marina and the tech says linkage on top of motor was set up for a alpha not bravo. He said it had a shift assist on it and a bravo doesn't use it so he removed it and said it shifts easy now nothing wrong with boat. Also he said not sure whats going on but the computer on the boat has a alpha sticker on it not bravo and he couldn't find the engine S/N tag down by the starter. When I got it home I found the tag looks like the motor is a Mercury Remanufactred with a part number 865108R26 which is for a 350 MAG-RM. I was wondering what the RM stands for. Just trying to figure out some history on this boat.

Fun Times

Staff member
What year is the boat?

Sounds like you received an Alpha engine set_up vs a needed Bravo set_up.
CPO= Certified Pre-Owned RM= Remanufactured.

MERCRUISER part/Model Number 865108R26 = 350 Mag MPI Alpha Engine Only, Multi‑Port Fuel‑Injected using Gen II Cool Fuel, Certified Pre‑Owned with a 1‑Year Factory Limited Warranty 300 HP Sterndrive Engine (s/n 0M600000 and up) Mercury Branded

Since you have a bravo stern drive, I’d say technically speaking, someone ordered you the wrong engine combination for the setup you had which in most cases make installation a bit harder to do but with the less parts the CPO’s say they come with after rebuild, it probably wasn’t much of an issue because they most likely used a bunch of the original parts from the first engine which isn’t an issue really, just pointing it for your benefit of knowing what may have happened during ordering/installing.

I think they should have ordered either part/ Model number listed below I believe depending on year of boat/original engine.
865108R25 350 Mag MPI Bravo Engine Only, Multi‑Port Fuel‑Injected using Gen II Cool Fuel, Certified Pre‑Owned with a 1‑Year Factory Limited Warranty 300 HP Sterndrive Engine (s/n 0M600000‑0W059999) 865108R24 350 Mag MPI Bravo Engine Only, Multi‑Port Fuel‑Injected using Gen 3 Cool Fuel, Certified Pre‑Owned with a 1‑Year Factory Limited Warranty 300 HP Sterndrive Engine (s/n 0W060000 and up)

Mercury Branded

CPO MERCRUISER ENGINE-350 MAG BRAVO EC

Mercury Branded

8M0060615 350 MAG MPI Bravo Engine Only. Multi‑Port Fuel‑Injected with emissions control catalyst system Certified Pre‑Owned with a 1‑Year Factory Limited Warranty 300 HP Sterndrive Engine (s/n 1A623185 and up) Mercury Branded
2013 Remanufactured Product Guide

For info guidance of all the above, here’s the link for future references, https://kipdf.com/engine-break-in-p...-engine-headers_5adc39de7f8b9a127e8b459f.html
The info for this case is about halfway down the page.

Fun Times

Staff member
CPO OUTBOARDS

Mercury Remanufacturing offers the best value in the marine industry with our Factory Certified Pre‑Owned (CPO) Outboard Program. This program is available for all Mercury 2‑Stroke, 4‑Stroke, Verado, OptiMax and Race Outboards. CPO Outboards are available to any Mercury Dealer that can purchase Mercury Parts & Accessories (P&A). CPO Outboards must pass a multi‑point inspection process, be brought back to original functional specifications, and be functionally hot‑tested by our team of factory technicians. CPO Outboards cannot be sold as new. Rigging and Propellers are not included and sometimes literature or the original containers may not be available. CPO Outboards will show some evidence of use: scratches, cosmetic corrosion, and any number of hours are possible. Corrosion on the flywheel, alternator, exhaust ports, water jackets, midsections, and lower units are also possible. Every CPO Outboard engine comes with a One‑Year Factory Limited Warranty. CPO Outboard engines that pass through our factory process also qualify for up to two years of extended coverage through the Mercury Product Protection (MPP) program. Note: CPO Outboards DO NOT come with Mounting Hardware, Boat Harnesses, Battery Cables or Steering Components.

PLUS-SERIES ENGINES PLUS-SERIES ENGINES The PLUS‑SERIES line from Mercury Remanufacturing is made up of unique engines that offer value performance for your next repower. Based on our popular MerCruiser products, these are fully remanufactured engines that are fitted with marine‑grade performance valve train, pistons, induction system and (in some cases) marine headers to deliver factory reliability at an affordable price. Each PLUS‑SERIES engine is "Hot Tested" by supplying fuel and coolant so technicians can perform a series of live‑running tests for quality assurance. All PLUS‑SERIES engines are completely remanufactured and include exhaust manifolds, fuel, electrical and ignition systems so they are ready to rig into a boat. PLUS‑SERIES engines from Mercury Remanufacturing come with a One‑Year Factory Limited Warranty. Mercury Product Protection is available to provide up to two‑years of additional coverage. CONSIDERATIONS FOR THE 4.3L, 5.7L and 350 Gen+ PARTIALLY DRESSED ENGINES: • To avoid the expense of a fully‑dressed complete engine, the following items (if in good condition) need to be transferred from the original engine over to the replacement engine: exhaust manifolds, risers, starter motor, alternator, pulleys hoses and belts. • Installing a partially dressed engine into a 1981 or earlier application would not be recommended. Due to the shift bracket that contains a reverse lock mechanism, it would be extremely difficult and expensive to accomplish this upgrade. This product category may require a Core/Container Deposit. MERCRUISER

Scott06

Admiral
Agreed looks like someone used an alpha engine in a bravo application. When i was looking at repowering years back, was looking at a bravo engine for my alpha application, dealer said he could reflash the ecu to a alpha so i could have shift interrupt… that made me feel uneasy, but just points out that its not that uncommon In practice.
you may want to verify if the engine was registered for warranty with merc, but may be old enough to be out of warranty.
bottom line considering the 350 mag is rated at 300 hp for both alpha and bravo other than sea water pump and shift interrupt, there may not be much practical difference. I doubt the shift interrupt makes any difference on a bravo Drive

Rinker915

Recruit
What year is the boat?

Sounds like you received an Alpha engine set_up vs a needed Bravo set_up.
CPO= Certified Pre-Owned RM= Remanufactured.

MERCRUISER part/Model Number 865108R26 = 350 Mag MPI Alpha Engine Only, Multi‑Port Fuel‑Injected using Gen II Cool Fuel, Certified Pre‑Owned with a 1‑Year Factory Limited Warranty 300 HP Sterndrive Engine (s/n 0M600000 and up) Mercury Branded

Since you have a bravo stern drive, I’d say technically speaking, someone ordered you the wrong engine combination for the setup you had which in most cases make installation a bit harder to do but with the less parts the CPO’s say they come with after rebuild, it probably wasn’t much of an issue because they most likely used a bunch of the original parts from the first engine which isn’t an issue really, just pointing it for your benefit of knowing what may have happened during ordering/installing.

I think they should have ordered either part/ Model number listed below I believe depending on year of boat/original engine.
865108R25 350 Mag MPI Bravo Engine Only, Multi‑Port Fuel‑Injected using Gen II Cool Fuel, Certified Pre‑Owned with a 1‑Year Factory Limited Warranty 300 HP Sterndrive Engine (s/n 0M600000‑0W059999) 865108R24 350 Mag MPI Bravo Engine Only, Multi‑Port Fuel‑Injected using Gen 3 Cool Fuel, Certified Pre‑Owned with a 1‑Year Factory Limited Warranty 300 HP Sterndrive Engine (s/n 0W060000 and up)

Mercury Branded

CPO MERCRUISER ENGINE-350 MAG BRAVO EC

Mercury Branded

8M0060615 350 MAG MPI Bravo Engine Only. Multi‑Port Fuel‑Injected with emissions control catalyst system Certified Pre‑Owned with a 1‑Year Factory Limited Warranty 300 HP Sterndrive Engine (s/n 1A623185 and up) Mercury Branded
2013 Remanufactured Product Guide

For info guidance of all the above, here’s the link for future references, https://kipdf.com/engine-break-in-p...-engine-headers_5adc39de7f8b9a127e8b459f.html
The info for this case is about halfway down the page.
Yep, I think the setup that was put in was for a alpha. The boat is a 2004 the engine reman tag says 2008. It doesn’t seem to effect it other than kind of stiff to shift to reverse which my tech says he corrected that. I haven’t had it in the water this year yet probably be a couple weeks yet. Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
There should be no issue using a Alpha on a Bravo. No interruptor being used so no motor stumble on shifting