FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
With the distributor cap off and the points rubbing block setting on the flat side of the rotor shaft can you move the rotor shaft enough to create a 1/8”-1/4” gap in the points?
My point gap is supposed to be .022 inch approximately the thickness of the cardboard of a cereal box or business cards. I don't have a feeler gage but I did have a cereal box lol.
But yes I can move the rotor and it springs back to where it started. Point dose open and close, and I cleaned the point as well.
You need to get a feeler gauge and set the points @ .016-.017. Good that the springs are working. However how much will he points open and close by pushing sideways on the rotor shaft? Point gap effects timing and trying to compensate with a timing light and moving the distributor is not correct.
You really need a service manual for your engine.
I've been trying to find a service manual for my motor but everything I find is 50-75 bucks. All I know for sure is I need manual #3.
Though I never messed with my point gap. Just checked it.