Mercruiser 3.0 TKS problem at cold air temperatures

Shwaiger

Recruit
Hello, boaters!
Have read a lot of related topics, but my problem quite differs.
So I have 2007 Bayliner 192 Discovery with Mercruiser 3.0 TKS (turn key start), serial no: 1a004544, everything is working well, I had a great summer on water, but now, when temperatures tend to +3*C at night and +6*C at a daytime the problem starts: when I start engine cold, it takes 3 cranks to start (after one priming by throttle lever), engine starts, I hear hissing sound of TKS system (enrichment circuit works), but engine runs very rough, bogs down, rpm is around 600, I have to maintain 1500 rpm by working with throttle lever (rpm constantly drops from 1500, I apply more throttle and maintain 1500). When TKS solenoid warms up (it takes ~15 mins now, when outside was +15*C it took ~7-9 mins) hissing sound stops and everything works fine, IDLE rpm is 700, when in gear ~650, boat starts to plane at few seconds, max RPM 4600, speed ~37 mph.
Looks like TKS system works fine – solenoid is retracted when starting engine, after 15 mins it extends and enrichment stops. And the problem is that the mixture is too rich(?) when TKS enrichment works... It's strange, but yes. Carb was rebuilt by me last year, everything was cleaned, issues with rough IDLE have fixed.
(when outside temp was ~15*C, working TKS gave me 900 rpm, then rpm drops to 700 when TKS finishes cycle)
Is it normal TKS operation at cold air temperatures? What should I check? How to make TKS cycle faster? I don't need 15 mins of enrichment, 1 min will be fine).
I have two ideas of fixing it:
1. plug something in hole where air for TKS is taken
2. print on 3d printer own TKS module with arduino and simple solenoid, that will work by simple logic: 1 minute it will be retracted and then extends.
Please, give me your thoughts. Every kind of thoughts )
Sorry for bad english and thank you in advance.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Clean and kit the carburetor. You got something plugged up. Check your fuel water separator as well for contaminants - dump into a clear glass container and look to see.

Shwaiger

Recruit
Clean and kit the carburetor. You got something plugged up. Check your fuel water separator as well for contaminants - dump into a clear glass container and look to see.
Thank you very much for quick reply. Just want to clarify - my carb working well when TKS circuit is disabled. So the one thing that can be clogged - TKS circuit. And that's the thing I can not understand: if this circuit is clogged - there will be no enrichment. And engine should work normal. But I definitely get too much fuel, and passages are clear. Sprayed carb cleaner through TKS channels - have no result.

alldodge

Staff member
Running rich when cold, manual 41

Was the volume reduction plug installed in the correct orientation?
Assuming the jets were not mixed up with TKS jets

Float adjustments are correct, and spring loaded needle was used?
Level 9mm, drop 24mm

Have you checked for a vacuum leak?
If the carb has a leak it may be just enough to cause trouble during cold start up.

Shwaiger

Recruit
Running rich when cold, manual 41

Was the volume reduction plug installed in the correct orientation?
Assuming the jets were not mixed up with TKS jets

Float adjustments are correct, and spring loaded needle was used?
Level 9mm, drop 24mm

Have you checked for a vacuum leak?
If the carb has a leak it may be just enough to cause trouble during cold start up.
I have gen 2 of mercarb, it hasn't volume reduction plug (read in manual #41 about existence of gen 1 with this plug ).
Float adjustments correct, made it with precision.
Yes, sprint loaded needle used, new from quicksilver.
About vacuum leak — maybe it is, how I can check it? I have no problems with engine start when hot. 1 crank and it starts.
Thank you!

alldodge

Staff member
With motor warmed up, spray some WD40 at the base of the carb and intake to see if the idle changes any. Can also use a small propane torch and let the gas only (don't light) and move it around the gasket area

Shwaiger

Recruit
With motor warmed up, spray some WD40 at the base of the carb and intake to see if the idle changes any. Can also use a small propane torch and let the gas only (don't light) and move it around the gasket area
Done, sprayed wd-40 as you said — it took zero affect on rpm. Today temperature is slightly warmer, so problem almost gone: cold start after 3 pumps, 650-700 rpm when TKS enrichment working. Just little bogging down after 5 mins of warming.
I believe, that at low temperatures fuel vaporises very slow, and enriched mixture settles at spark plugs making them wet. Or am I wrong and TKS should work at all temperature range when water is liquid?

Fun Times

Staff member
Under normal summer type weather temperatures, the average time to make the hissing sound go away at idle RPM only is 7 to 8 minutes… A colder engine would take a bit more time naturally… The engine thermostat helps control some of this and should it be stuck open or aged/ opening slower than normal, it could have an slow affect on warm up time… might be time to pull and inspect and replace the temp thermostat….

Also the TKS carb takes a special tool to adjust the Air/Fuel mixture screw under the hard to remove EPA cap cover….After a carb rebuild, you might need to readjust the mixture if you didn’t.

Shwaiger

Recruit
Under normal summer type weather temperatures, the average time to make the hissing sound go away at idle RPM only is 7 to 8 minutes… A colder engine would take a bit more time naturally… The engine thermostat helps control some of this and should it be stuck open or aged/ opening slower than normal, it could have an slow affect on warm up time… might be time to pull and inspect and replace the temp thermostat….

Also the TKS carb takes a special tool to adjust the Air/Fuel mixture screw under the hard to remove EPA cap cover….After a carb rebuild, you might need to readjust the mixture if you didn’t.
Thanks for suggestions! Thermostat was replaced year ago, engine gets to operating temp very fast. Faster, then hissing sound disappears. As I know, time for hissing sound (when TKS enrichment circuit working) depends only on TKS solenoid extending speed, which is slower for cold outside, and not on engine coolant temp.
My TKS carb was already without cap. So I easily adjusted mixture this way: on working at operating temp engine I set IDLE at ~700 RPM. Then I started to screw in adjustment screw to the point when IDLE starts to drop. Then stopped and turned back for half a turn. Works great when TKS system doesn't bother.
What I figured out when experimented with WD-40: there are two holes on top of airhorn (beneath flame arrester): big one (5mm in diameter) and small one (1 mm in diameter), and when TKS hissing, if I close by my finger big one - engine starts dying, when I close small one - it also starts dying. Anyone knows, which function this holes perform?

alldodge

Staff member
Not marked in the manual but look like vent opening for float bowl and maybe venturi