mercruiser 3.0 timing gear replacment? how to .

Mustangman 52

Seaman
my cam gear is missing several teeth does anyone know how to remove and install a new gear set. i cant find much information one thread says pull the motor,for the crankshaft gear and pull the camshaft for the cam gear. is this true? or does anyone have a better way.i would really appreciate any help thanks

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there, that's a pretty big job....What year is the engine and do you have a service manual for it? Any signs of why they're damaged yet?

Bondo

Staff member
says pull the motor,for the crankshaft gear and pull the camshaft for the cam gear. is this true?

Ayuh,.... The 1st step is pull the motor,.....

Once out, 'n on a stand, pull the timin' cover,....

Bring the cam gear/ crank gear into time by alignin' their marks,....

With a puller, pull both gears, 'n reinstall the new gears, in time,...

Neither the crankshaft, nor the cam shaft have to come out,....
The reason for pullin' the motor is, the timin' cover is Under the oil pan, which must be removed 1st,...

Button up the motor, 'n floor test it,....

When runnin' Right, drop it back into yer barge, 'n Go Boatin',.....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
On some the timing gear is pressed on and needs to be pressed off. no provision for a puller, info from manual 10
UntitledCS21_zpsetzx41co.jpg

Last edited:

Mustangman 52

Seaman
thank you for the help.as for why they are damaged ? the engine is a 74 year model looks like it just got brittle form age its plastic.i already have the timing cover off with the engine still in the boat.crank gear looks fine any possibility i can use the crank gear with a new cam gear and just pull the cam shaft and not have to do the crank gear.how does the crank gear go back on?

fishrdan

Admiral
I bet you could pull the cam, run it down to a machine shop, haven the new fiber gear pressed off-on, and put it all back together in the boat. Of course this is over simplified as you have to remove the valve train first, support the engine so the front mount can be removed, and be meticulous about reinstalling (align) the timing cover so it doesn't leak. Myself, I wouldn't monkey with the crank gear since the cam gear is fiber.

BE SURE to keep all lifters, pushrods and rockers numbered, so they go back exactly where they were removed from. They have 40 years of wear patterns and swapping them could cause damage.

Mustangman 52

Seaman
i agree with you if the crank gear well work with the new cam gear there may be no need to remove it.i took the boat to a marina the mechanic says the crank gear should just slide off the crank easily its not pressed on.his opinion was just tap that one back on but the cam has to come out of course its pressed on.but there is no need to remove the engine.i well post back when i get this finished so this may be useful for the next person.thanks for everyone's help.