Mercruiser 3.0 takes long time to start...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 takes long time to start...

Do you have spark when the engine is cranking? Do you have cranking voltage to the purple wire on the coil during cranking?

booger9942

Recruit

this is actually almost the same problem im having i got fuel i got spark and i can get it started and idle it as long as a buddy is adjusting the choke manually. Should i replace the choke or adjust the spring ive already done the adjustment to the second notch clockwise and checked the fuse the choke is energizing the choke butterfly it is not adjusting according to temperature even after warmed up if my buddy lets it go after several minutes of warming up it dies... any suggestions

Bondo

Staff member

this is actually almost the same problem im having i got fuel i got spark and i can get it started and idle it as long as a buddy is adjusting the choke manually. Should i replace the choke or adjust the spring ive already done the adjustment to the second notch clockwise and checked the fuse the choke is energizing the choke butterfly it is not adjusting according to temperature even after warmed up if my buddy lets it go after several minutes of warming up it dies... any suggestions

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... You need to start a thread of yer own, insteada Hy-jackin' this 1.....

makonnen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First of all, thanks to everyone for the fast responses.

I took a video of my carb.. I am pretty clueless right now about engines so I am hoping it will help me help you identify the problem..

The gold plate i am opening... is this the choke butterfly?? The only way i can figure out how to open and close it is with my fingers. I pushed the throttle foward and saw gas.. but i dont know if i have one of those things that the car in the video had.. im lost! lol

http://youtu.be/fN7jAuiltPA

It appears your fuel / float bowl is empty. That is probably why you saw the fuel spray in the first video but didn't see it in the second video. These are 2BBL carbs have small fuel / float bowls.

Turn the ignition on and / or crank the engine for 10 seconds to fill the float bowl again. Then repeat the steps.

makonnen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Watch This - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hisH4mARPc

The first 15 seconds show a properly working accelerator pump.

With the engine cold:

Do NOT start the engine!

Get a friend to work the throttle

Remove the flame arrestor from the carberator.

Take note of where the choke butterfly is positioned.

HAve the friend advance the throttle to the wide open throttle position while you look down the caberator throat.

The choke butterfly should close or partly close. (Depending on temp.)

You should see the desired stream of gasoline as in the video.

Pull the throlle back to the neutral position.

The choke butter fly should remain closed.

Let us know what you find.

Great advice and video!

Here is my $.02 on choke diagnosis

1. Take off the flame arrester / air filter
2. The choke plate near the top of the carb should nearly be fully closed
3. Have someone crank the engine while you closely observe (and video?) the choke plate
4. The choke plate should crack open slightly

Explanation: Notice that the linkage for the choke plate is off-centered. This is because the vacuum generated by the engine and the air flowing past the choke plate is designed to open the choke plate slightly when cranking. Its a fine balance between the choke plate NOT opening when cranking (which will cause flooding and it won't start for 10 minutes like you described), and the choke plate remaining open which means extended crank times.

5. With the engine cold and the choke plate closed ... turn the ignition on. After about 3-4 minutes, the choke plate should be fully opened by the electric coils
6. Go away for half an hour, come back to the engine ... the choke plate should REMAIN OPEN. THen when you crack open the throttle, the linkage should release the choke plate to a closed position.
7. With the engine off and the choke closed / cooled down, crank the throttle WIDE OPEN. The choke should OPEN if the throttle is opened fully (this is how you can help clear a flooded engine)
8. Push down on the larger part of the choke plate, you should feel "some" resistance but it shouldn't be too tight. If its too tight then either your linkage needs work or your choke coil is adjusted too tight.

cheejudo

Seaman

lol thanks for all the hlep but i charged the battery fully and it starts right up