Mercruiser 3.0 Liter Powersteering

Hello all!<br /><br />This week, I picked up my new Bayliner 175. I tested it out for the first time today and noticed that it doesn't steer as easily as I would like. Can I add power steering to the Mercruiser 3.0 liter sterndrive? Is this a very delicate and expensive task?<br /><br />Thanks, Clayton

Cobotr

Seaman
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 Liter Powersteering

New boat, or new to boating? <br /><br />On boats without power steering, the proper trimming of the outdrive helps ease the steering effort. Is it harder to steer one direction more than the other?

Bondo

Staff member

Disconnect the cable at the tiller-end... Is the resistence in the cable, or the outdrive ??????<br />If it's the cable, Replace It....<br />If it's the outdrive, Grease it....<br />3.0ls Don't Need P/S... Nor has Merc. Ever offered it....<br />I'm sure it can be added, But you'll find Many problems trying to get it done....<br />First Problem will be, How to mount the pump on the motor,+ How to drive it off the V-belt....

It is a new boat. When the trim is properly set, then the steering is easier, but when I trim out to get more speed, then I have to fight the steering. Are there any online resources to purchase a power steering kit?<br /><br />Thanks, Clay

Bondo

Staff member

OH....<br />So tell me, How Much More Speed do you get when you Over-trim the drive.....<br />Adjust the torque-tab, or trim-tab, on the anti-cav. plate will fix your problem.... Not power steering....<br /><br />By the way, All that overtrimming is going to cost you a ton of money....<br />Nobody makes a "Kit"... You'll have to find all the parts,+ Build the brackets.... There are None to copy....<br /><br />
When the trim is properly set, then the steering is easier,
That pretty much sums it up....

How do I adjust the trim tab? Is there a proper way to do this? The advertised speed of this boat is 43MPH. I won't always go this fast, but it would be nice from time to time. <br /><br />Clay

D

DJ

Clay,<br /><br />You turn the rear of the tab in the direction of the pull. If your boat wants to go to the right, turn the rear of the tab to the right, and visa versa.<br /><br />It should have a bolt on or near it that loosens it.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

I think you'll be hard pressed to get 43mph unless it's just you in the boat and the water is as flat as glass. It's a great engine but it's not a speed demon. WOT is like 4400-4800 rpm. My boat (3.0L) doesn't pull at all when on plane and it's not difficult to steer. BUT, I'm looking at a 19' with Mercruiser V6 (with power steering) and it's like a whole different boat. Much smoother riding and steering. Time to upgrade!<br /><br />Good luck with your new boat.

rogerwa

Commander

FYI.. my 87 Searay Seville came standard with power steering on the Mercruiser 3.0l.