Mercruiser 3.0 Gimble and U-joint work

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just thought I'd post a few thoughts on both jobs. Took it out for the first time and had a horrible banging when turning so back to the dock and back to the house. Pulled off the lower unit and found the forward u-joint toast in two of the arms.
Gimble seemed fine but decided to replace it with new since I doubt it was ever done.
Found all the parts on-line but the best item I found was on E-Bay; the Install tools and alignment bar ( after doing it for the first time it made it a breeze). Just an FYI before you spend time buying or using hokey home made tools the whole kit only cost about $75 for a really great set of quality tools.
Also the best advise I can share is that Auto-zone Has a FREE Pro puller kit that works perfect and had the Gimble out in about 5 minutes. I also used their Ball_joint kit to re-press in the u-joints and made it a snap.
All in all about $200 bought all the parts and now I own the install kit for future use if ever needed.
Happy Boating!

Attachments

• photo293416.jpg
    photo293416.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo293417.jpg
    photo293417.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo293418.jpg
    photo293418.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That's the best bearing puller you can get. Nice find! The alignment installer tool is what I use. They make everything go easy. Good post.