Mercruiser 3.0 alpha one no water from telltale holes

Jeffafa

Cadet
Dewinterizing my 83 Mercedes boat yesterday and noticed running on muffs, no water pissing out from telltales. This tells me I possibly need to replace the water pump...but, additionally when I pulled the thermostat housing the inside was rusty and I poured water directly into the engine and still not running out of the lower unit...in addition to a bad water pump, do I also have a clog somewhere?? possibly in the manifold?? Engine runs great and last year had no issues overheating. Also the winterization process I think went well because there was still pink antifreeze in the manifold but I had to stick a pick through the manifold drain hole to get it to come out. Already have a water pump kit on order but what else should I be checking? Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Did you replace the impeller? If not, start there. Also, if you havent had the drive off every year for alignment, bellows, gimbal, and u-joint inspection, now is the time to

Jeffafa

Cadet
Did you replace the impeller? If not, start there. Also, if you havent had the drive off every year for alignment, bellows, gimbal, and u-joint inspection, now is the time to
I havent yet but I do have an impeller, housing and seal kit on order. I will need to work at the old impeller, it doesnt want to come off, almost looks like the inside hub is seized to the shaft. Thanks for the input. I'm not sure how to check that other stuff but I suppose you're right better check everything I can.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Go to the stickies at top of the forum. Look at the videos that Achris posted

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Top of the forum are two stickies. First one is adults only, second one is DIY information

Both same, one is just more work friendly

Click in one (second one if you are at work), then click on the additional mercruiser information and halfway down it says videos. That is as fas as I spoon feed you

Last edited:

Jeffafa

Cadet
Top of the forum are two stickies. First one is adults only, secind one is DIY information

Both same, one is just more work friendly

Click in ine, then click on the additional mercruiser information and halfway down it says videos. That is as fas as I spoon feed you
found it thank you sir!