Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha One Gen 2 Barrel

Drock1979

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All.

I don't have access to water where I am looking to do some work on my boat. What measurements of a barrel or tub, etc would I need to put the lower end into, to test water impeller and few other items???

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Never run in a barrel unless you can float the whole boat

Use muffs on land

matt167

Captain
A deep storage tote should be deep enough. The yellow and black ones from a home center. I’d recommend modifying it with a drain spigot. From experience

Drock1979

Seaman Apprentice
A deep storage tote should be deep enough. The yellow and black ones from a home center. I’d recommend modifying it with a drain spigot. From experience
Matt,

Would you have measurements that I would need? Width by length by depth?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Scott,

As mentioned don't have access to water... any other suggestions it only to test water pickup. So maybe 5 mins running.
You need to get the water level a good 8" above the raw water pump when you start.

You will find the boat is in the way to do so

Drock1979

Seaman Apprentice
You need to get the water level a good 8" above the raw water pump when you start.

You will find the boat is in the way to do so
Scott,

Ok good to know...

8" above may I ask why? Muffs wouldn't get the water no where near that high.

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Scott,

Ok good to know...

Perhaps I am unsure what point you are trying to make, but......
Ummmm. The muffs are run on a garden hose under pressure. Therefore, the raw water pump wouldn't need to pull a suction to draw water (lift) to prime it. The hose pressure forces the water to the pump to prime it.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Scott,

Ok good to know...

impellers push water. they do not draw water

a hose will push the water to the impeller

roffey

Commander
Speaking of water muffs,,, a few years back I started my boat up in the drive way... all ran perfectly. I put the boat in the water and ran it for maybe 5 or 6 min. then it over heated.. keeping in mine I was 5 or 6 min. down the lake... Short story was my impeller had spun on the lower unit shaft. The muffs worked and the impeller did not, I had to paddle a 21 foot boat back to the dock...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, as I understand That should not happen. The keyway should work to prevent that

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
impellers push water. they do not draw water

a hose will push the water to the impeller
They must draw at least some because back in the day before I knew any better I used that stupid pan that attached to the lower unit where you pour antifreeze into. I guess it worked well enough because the block was ok next season. Guess i got lucky. Now in the internet era I get what you say...to work properly the impeller needs to be submerged in water. Drock, if you have no water how would you fill a tub anyway? If you can fill a container maybe use an electric pump, i.e. bilge pump to muffs. Buy a kiddy pool to put below the outdrive so you don't loose water and submerge the pump.

Drock1979

Seaman Apprentice
They must draw at least some because back in the day before I knew any better I used that stupid pan that attached to the lower unit where you pour antifreeze into. I guess it worked well enough because the block was ok next season. Guess i got lucky. Now in the internet era I get what you say...to work properly the impeller needs to be submerged in water. Drock, if you have no water how would you fill a tub anyway? If you can fill a container maybe use an electric pump, i.e. bilge pump to muffs. Buy a kiddy pool to put below the outdrive so you don't loose water and submerge the pump.
Stinnett,

Your bang on was going to use the big blue water jugs from like on top of a water cooled to bring water to the boat for testing.

Issue is with a pump how many gph or litres would I need to ensure it's safe for my engine.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
At idle, your raw water pump will pump 10 GPM +/-

However I would not run it without muffs

Scott06

Admiral
Gee, as I understand That should not happen. The keyway should work to prevent that
the rubber impeller separates from the metal core that is keyed to the vertical driveshaft. Seems to be common in the cheaper aftermarket replacements.

Scott06

Admiral
Stinnett,

Your bang on was going to use the big blue water jugs from like on top of a water cooled to bring water to the boat for testing.

Issue is with a pump how many gph or litres would I need to ensure it's safe for my engine.
You could get a 12 vdc powered sump pump like used for back up sump pump connect to a garden hose to pump into muffs.

A bilge pump may work but not sure how much pressure this will supply.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I have only seen that kind of separation once. It was on a Merc impeller which was turned over and reused.

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Simply REMOVE the propeller. Then you can use a 55 gallon drum. You have to keep checking the water temperature for getting too hot. Still need at least enough depth in the barrel to cover the inlet holes after the pump FILLS the engine up. You are doing a risky setup.