Mercruiser 3.0 Alarm

Rico23

Cadet
I bought a 2000 bayliner Capri 1850 two weeks ago and every time I have used it, I get a constant beeping sound after the engine is running. The engine is the Mercruiser 3.0L. There is no beeping when the key is in the ignition, but as soon as the engine is running, it starts. The boat was out on the lake last weekend and everything felt fine, but no matter how long I ran the engine, it kept beeping. It is a beep every two seconds and continues until I turn off the engine. I have checked all of the fluids and everything looks fine. After I first noticed it, i realized that one of the splark plug wire was left off, so I thought that was the issue, but it still continues to beep. All of the guages show normal temperature and pressure. Any ideas?

I ordered the manual from Iboats today, but that will take a couple weeks. Hoping to get to some troubleshooting ideas.

Thanks for the help.....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 Alarm

There are 3 things that cause the alarm, overtemp, low oil pressure, and low gear lube in the reservoir.
You should get an alarm when you first turn the key on, to indicate you don't have any oil pressure. Doesn't sound like you have that.
But you do have an alarm when you run the engine. Did you by any chance replace the oil pressure alarm switch for some reason?

To find out which one is causing the problem, start the engine and disconnect the alarm switchs one at a time until you find which one is causing the alarm. All three switches are a tan wire with a blue stripe.

Rico23

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 Alarm

Don,

Just wanted to give you my findings after some troubleshoooting. Turns out, when I replaced the batter, the depth finder shallow alarm got set to 300 ft. Took the boat out yesterday and no alarm. It makes a much better trip. Thanks for the information......