mercruiser 260hp spark/shifting issues

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer
de-winterized the boat today boat started up right away shifter was a little stiff...all went well untill I put it into gear and it stalled I did this many times and it stalled in foreward and reverse, I check the drive(cable) to make sure it was shifting and it was and all cables moved like they should, there was no noise when I shifted but the engine just died, I tried to start the engine again and it cranked but did not turn over, I checked for spark and there was NONE, Im confused and dont know where to start, could my shifting issue be linked to the suddenly having no spark or do I have 2 seperate issues? The boat ran fine untill I started shifting.
thank you ,
Denny

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercruiser 260hp spark/shifting issues

I did a little research and came to an conclusion that I may have a cable/shift-interuptor? issue. since if what is reading in correct is that the interuptor cuts spark to the cylinders to ease shifting, and since the engine ran fine until I shifted makes me think that might be part of the suddenly no spark issue. My interuptor sits on top of the engine and has a "wheel" that that moves up and down and presses a contact, My question is does it sound like im on the right track? and what should I be looking for when looking at the "wheel" and contact when shifting? there is a little play "slop" in that area and i cant find the exact way the interuptor works in my manual to figure out if I have a cable/adjustment/interuptor issue
thanks,
Denny

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It sounds like that is exactly the problem. Your shifting cable is probably getting stiff and needing to be replaced - that is causing the shift interrupt switch to engage going into gear, and stay engaged. It is supposed to spring back and settle into the "V groove." Take a look at the switch and see if the arm is centered in the groove - if it isn't, the engine will not start.

There is a post in the "adults only" section with more info: How the shift interrupt switch works

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

thank you for the reply, I will look at it again shortly and post my findings,,,still cant picture in my mind the "arm and v groove" im shure ill see it when I look at it again.
thanks again,
Denny

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

There's a picture from Don S in the link I posed above.... and here it is:

attachment.php

Bondo

Staff member

My question is does it sound like im on the right track? and what should I be looking for when looking at the "wheel" and contact when shifting?

Ayuh,... On the trailer, yer lookin' for it to do Nothing....
In the water, You wanta see it move Only when coming Out of gear....

You describing the typical symptoms of a Beat lower shift cable, it's Dragging...

Replace it is the only Cure...

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,... On the trailer, yer lookin' for it to do Nothing....
In the water, You wanta see it move Only when coming Out of gear....

You describing the typical symptoms of a Beat lower shift cable, it's Dragging...

Replace it is the only Cure...

bear with me im trying to get a grasp of what is going on. If the interupter does "nothing" on the muffs why do I suddenly have no spark? I played with it last night and after I giggled the interupter the engine started then I shut it off tried to start it again and no spark, giggled it again no spark, then spark and so on. the wheel is centered in the v goove and all looks normal except for som play. when shifting the wheel goes up or down depending on if you are going F or R the 2 metal peices make contact but the button on the interruptor in never depressed.....what does that button do? when I press the throttle button and move the shifter the wheel does not move...I have no doupt that I may have a cable issue...I just want to see what the cable is doing to cause my issue. I dont like to try fix things if I cant actually see what is going wrong.

what can I dissconnect to get the engine running? "disconect the lower cable"? any guidence would be helpfull.
thank you,
Denny

dubs283

Vice Admiral

disconnect the shift interrupt switch if you want spark back

sure sounds like that is what is cutting out the spark

what bond-o is saying is that a worn out shift cable can cause the shift interrupt switch to not work properly, which can translate into the issue you are experiencing

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

when shifting the wheel goes up or down depending on if you are going F or R the 2

On land the switch should not be moving at all. If it does you have a bad lower cable or corrosion in the shift system. When was the drive removed last for servicing ?