Mercruiser 165hp Inline 6 - Gas in oil - HOW???

el toro

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok guys the motor is a 1981 Merc 165 hp inline 6 cyl with San Juan FWC. and a 2 barrel rochester carb.

The crankcase is loading up with gas and I don't understand where it could be coming from? I JUST installed a new (mechanical) fuel pump AND had the carb professionally rebuilt this summer! How else can gas get in there?
In September when I installed the new fuel pump I gave it a fresh oil change and took the boat out for maybe an hour long ride spending about 20 mins of that time on the plane. Now the dipstick shows almost 2 liters above the mark! It almost seems as if the level is rising as it sits in the driveway but I'm not sure? Any ideas? Thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruiser 165hp Inline 6 - Gas in oil - HOW???

Are you sure it's petrol getting in and not water? If it's filling up WITHOUT the engine running I would guess it's water, probably coming in through the manifold or elbow. Remember that water is heavier than oil and any water that has come in will be sitting UNDER the oil, and will make it look like there is more oil in there.

el toro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well the oil smells like gas to me but I'll take a sample to the local shop here and see if they can confirm it for me. Plus wouldn't it turn milky when I ran the motor? Or would that not be as obvious with antifreeze as opposed to straight water?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

How about you tell us the whole story, not just bits of it... I mean, I am confused, so spell it out step by step for me... :D Like, is it filling up when the engine is not running, or both, when did you notice it, have you used the boat since, did you check the oil level immediately after a trip? Have you drained the oil, how, from the bottom of the engine or using a oil suction pump. Basically the more information you give, the more accurately we can help you... The FWC system, does it do just the engine or engine AND manifold?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If you do find that it really is gas and not water... then I would suggest pulling the pump back off and see if you bought a defective pump.