Mercruiser 165 Rebuild

finisher88

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 165 Rebuild

Well I finally got my inline 6, only took three weeks,thx to the snow & yellow freight, it looks good but will not be able to tell much until it is opened up,Yes I will rebuild it. I hope to get it in the shop tomorrow. Got a fresh water exhaust pipe with it, no flapper but other wise in good condition, my old one has no flapper as well, my question here is, should I put the flapper on or not, seems that both have been recommended, this will be running in salt water, raw water cooled.

:confused:

fishrdan

Admiral

Yup, put the shudders in the exhaust pipe. If a wave or wake rolls up the stern it will keep water from backing up in the exhaust and into the engine...

Without it you can hydro-lock the engine,,, don't ask how I know :rolleyes:

chiefalen

Captain

What did you get exactly ?

A long block, short block, complete motor ?

Michigan motors ?

finisher88

Cadet

What did you get exactly ?

A long block, short block, complete motor ?

Michigan motors ?
What I got was a complete used motor,got it from John Fisher's Marina, it was a pull out from a used boat, they said that it was a running motor ready to drop in, due to its age,I have decided to rebuild it rather than just drop it in. Hopefully it has not been rebuilt before. Whats your take on the flappers Chiefalen?

finisher88

Cadet

Got my engine back from the engine rebuilder Pro Speed & Custom Power in Burnaby B.C. bored 30 over, balanced, new valves & seats, head cc'd , new rockers,lifters & push rods,oil pump, timing gears & a custom grind on the cam shaft by Shadbolt. I still have things to complete in the boat, new gas tank and wiring update but should be installing the engine in a couple of weeks. :D

chiefalen

Captain

Flappers are a point of contention here, and all i can give you is my own inexpert opinion.

My boat don't have flappers, my friends boats don't have flappers.

And it has been pointed out here that volvo put out a bulletin on flappers and they did away with them.

If you don't beach or boat, and run it right you probably don't need them in my opinion.

What do i mean by run it right?

Start the boat and let it warm up 3-5 minutes. Take off slow and easy and get up to the speed you want easy, i never run mine wot only when i want to check out a new prop. When you get to where you want to be slow down easy i never go straight into neutral from running from 3000-3500 rpm i get off the throttle slow.

Then idle the motor for 3-5 minutes when you get your gear ready to fish.

Shut it off. when your gonna run again, start it and let it idle if warm 1-3 minutes take off slow again.

When you do it right you should not have dieseling, which is run on, when you shut off the motor, but when you turn the key off and it continues to run on, quick turn the key back to run, or you will suck water into the motor.

But like i said if you run it right it should not, so that mine doesn't and my friends don't do it ether.

Was a long post just wanted to be clear.

Good luck !