Mercruiser 165 Carb issue?

wnbklb

Cadet
I have a 1987 Wellcraft 192 classic with a 165 HP Mercruiser - bought it new. Last summer, I re-built the carb - using the proper kit. I did the preliminary settings as per instructions then installed the carb back onto the engine. The thing started and ran great - better than ever! However, while cruising about 20 MPH (after about 30 min.), the engine hiccupped and died. It did not want to re-start hot. My first impression was that it seemed vapor-locked - but I know that's more common with outboards. After smelling gas, I realized it was most likely flooded (I may have done that trying to re-start it). Using starting fluid, I got it started. Later, a boat place told me they were sure it was water in the tank (polypropylene tank) from years of condensation. I siphoned nearly all of the gas out of the tank, added EZorb, then filled it with fresh hi-test gas. I also replaced the fuel line and added a fuel/water separator/filter. After that, it started and ran great...until this past Saturday. Same issue with the hiccup and hard starting. I had no way of pulling one of the plugs, but I'm fairly certain it was flooded after trying to re-start it. This time I noted gas dripping from the 2 tubes/jets into the carb throat. They look like they come out of the float bowl - dripping while the boat's just sitting there, not running and not being cranked over. I'm baffled and wondering (based on the dripping gas) if the float level could be wrong or if there's another adjustment I'm not aware of? The motor runs awesome - smooth with good power otherwise. After stalling/hiccup, once re-started, it runs great again. Any ideas out there?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 165 Carb issue?

Welcome to Iboats.
The first thing i would think is the needle and seat are sticking and holding the float in the open position.It should not drip gas when the engine is off.

wnbklb

Cadet

Could the float level be wrong so it's allowing gas to keep dripping? I did rebuild and clean the entire carb, but I can check what you said too, Gary. I'm in Charlotte and we have a lot in Troutman on LN. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Bifflefan

Commander

sounds like the float is sticking or the level is to high. its not hard (as you know) to check this.
Did you put in a new float?

wnbklb

Cadet

Thanks, Bifflefan! I did not replace the float. Should I have? It seemed fine. If it is too high, wouldn't that mean it has not failed and filling with gas? I'm not a mechanic (obviously), so I just might be clueless. This will sound ignorant, but if the float level is too high, do I bend the float arm up to make it float lower - allowing the needle to seat/close?

wnbklb

Cadet

One more question to throw out there to someone who might be able to answer this: If either the float level is too high or the needle valve is stuck open, would the motor still run smoothly (when it is running), then suddenly hiccup and die? If it runs great for 20-30 mins. or more, then suddenly dies - would either of the two mentioned problems cause this but allow the motor to run smoothly and powerfully when it is running? I want to address this suggested problem, but want to make sure I shouldn't be looking at a potential two or more issues while I have it apart. Thanks so much!

bigblocksarefun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Put a new Holley Marine 2bbl on there and don't look back.