Mercruiser 140 winterization.

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Could not find info on my specific set up.
I have a 1977, Mercruiser 140 and Mr-1 leg.
I have opened the three petcocks and drained the bloc and manifold. I have also lowered the leg into the down position. Then I saw a video that said to turn engine over for 5.6 seconds to "purge" the water in some areas (of the leg?) so I did that. Now I have a small heater that blows warm air into the engine bay on cold nights. The coldest it will get this coming week is 22'F and rising above freezing every day.
My question is mostly re leg. Are there cavities in there where water can freeze?
Any and all input is much appreciated.
Cheers...
Wayne

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Drain the large J hose

Assuming you didn't burry your drive in the mud and plug the drain holes, it's self draining

Part of the annual maintenance usually done at winterization is to change the engine oil and filter, change the drive oil, inspect the alignment, u-joints, and gimbal

zellerj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hopefully you got a good healthy flow from the drain holes on the block and the manifold. If not, give them a poke with a small screw driver.

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Drain the large J hose

Assuming you didn't burry your drive in the mud and plug the drain holes, it's self draining

Part of the annual maintenance usually done at winterization is to change the engine oil and filter, change the drive oil, inspect the alignment, u-joints, and gimbal
I should have clarified. I am not putting it away for the winter. I will be going out regularly for prawns and winter salmon. It does not get below freezing here often. Just want to be sure it's ok on the days it does get below freezing.

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hopefully you got a good healthy flow from the drain holes on the block and the manifold. If not, give them a poke with a small screw driver.
Hi there, yes I did but I will do the screwdriver thing anyway.

Scott06

Admiral
I should have clarified. I am not putting it away for the winter. I will be going out regularly for prawns and winter salmon. It does not get below freezing here often. Just want to be sure it's ok on the days it does get below freezing.
You basically have it. SD is correct The large J hose can trap water.

For many years i mistakenly never took mine off only the drain plugs never had an issue but i did find ice in it one spring when i did an early summarization, so water can freeze and damage circ pump.

no other trap cavities to hold water.

on my newer boat (2004) the j hose has a fitting in it with a drain plug …convenient

check how many hours you run every 100 or so you want to drain your outdrive lube and change your engine oil

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Only other thing to check is that you don’t have a little water in the gear oil. If left king enough and enough if it in there..it can separate out at the lower level and can freeze if you were unlucky enough. Rare event…but has happened.

Scott06

Admiral
Only other thing to check is that you don’t have a little water in the gear oil. If left king enough and enough if it in there..it can separate out at the lower level and can freeze if you were unlucky enough. Rare event…but has happened.
years ago my grandfather told me a story of how he used to store his outboards in his unheated shed… went out in the spring picked the outboard up and the gear case housing fell apart in pieces. Had water in gear oil split the casting during the winter.

he was showing me ( i was about 14) how to winterize his boat, and explaining why to change the gear oil in the fall and to look for milky oil… with a few tweaks i still basically do for winterization what he showed me 35 years ago..

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
years ago my grandfather told me a story of how he used to store his outboards in his unheated shed… went out in the spring picked the outboard up and the gear case housing fell apart in pieces. Had water in gear oil split the casting during the winter.

he was showing me ( i was about 14) how to winterize his boat, and explaining why to change the gear oil in the fall and to look for milky oil… with a few tweaks i still basically do for winterization what he showed me 35 years ago..
Good idea for sure. Or at least crack open the drain plug to look. It’s happened here a few times that I know of. Usually on badly or seldom maintained or VP outdrive that all to often take in water at their rather poor fitting gear oil seals.