Merc V-6 carbs

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all--<br />This summer I bought a 1985 17' Nitro with a 1984 XR2 150 HP V-6. All of my (relatively minor) issues relate to idle stalling, etc, so my plan was to rebuild the carbs this winter. On eBay I recently found a set from a "late 80's 200 HP V-6" and bought them cheap, figuring that I could get familiar with a set other than my own. Before I get too far, I'm hoping that someone can answer me--if I rebuild these, can I just slap them on in place of my existing ones? If there are identifying marks or characteristics, please let me know where I can find them, either on my original or on my purchased set. It's too durn cold to go out in the garage for more than short periods of time right now, but I'd like to make a little progress here and there and be ready when the nice weather returns.<br />Thanks again, Rich

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Merc V-6 carbs

Look on top of the flange that bolts to the intake manifold. Look for a nr. like WH-24. That'll be the model nr.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

clanton

Rear Admiral

The main jet is a different size for each cylinder. Correct jet size listed in service manual for each cylinder and carb location.

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks once again to all. My world has changed since my last posting. I am now in the D/FW area and looking forward to getting out on some of the local lakes.<br />Carbs appear to be the correct p/n (lucky me). I found what I believe to be the correct p/n for gasket kits, and I have three manuals (Merc, Seloc, and Clymer). I have one carb apart and it doesn't look too exotic, but based on my experiences with Mikuni motorcyle carbs... <br />Last thing before I "go in"-- are there any "hidden passages" I need to worry about finding/cleaning? <br />Thanks again, Rich

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Dive right in, the water's clear.<br /><br />Chris.............

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

How much did you find the rebuild kit for? I rebuilt the top pair of mine last summer becouse I had a leaking needle valve. I'd like to rebuild the other two but at $80 kit I figured I'd wait until they needed it.

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dingbat, where in Maryland are you? I found carb kits for my 87 V-150 at Rick's Marine for $18.00 ea

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Is that for the complete kit of just the gasket set? <br />I'm right outside of Columbia but the boats at Chesapeake Beach. Where is Rick's at?

BF

Lieutenant

before you start pullin' the carbs off your motor, try adding a can of seafoam to a few gallons of gas and running that through. If it's just a bit of varnish in the carbs, it could fix you right up. I had a bit of rough idle, and a noticable hesitation/hiccup on take-off on my V-150. Did the seafoam (& deep creep decarb) and now it takes off smooth as silk. I wasn't a believer in any "tune up in a can" type of stuff before using this sfuff on a few of my OB's this year. It is great stuff!<br /><br />Also, even if the carb bodies are the same, the carbs from a 200 HP might be jetted differently than your 150 HP ones... Cleaning or rebuilding the originals seems easier to me.<br /><br />Just my $.02 Good luck.<br /><br />Brent

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

That was gaskets, flote, valve, and valve seat. Rick's is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours south of Chesapeake Beach in Scottland almost to Point Lookout. It's a drive for you but at $80 a carb it's worth it.