Merc trim pump

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,..... For this to work,..... Where the trim limit switch hooks to the harness, the wires that connect to the 2 trim limit switch wires, need to be connected to each other, to pass power to the blue wire at the pump,....
Nope- your working the problem from the out drive forward and I'm working it from the handle back.
I hear what your saying and that is the first thing I did. I jumped the limit switch to see if that was stopping the trim from going up and it did not allow the trim to trim up. Next, you gave me the info to pull the harness plug from the pump and check continuity for the green and blue wires. My trim has trailer up as well as trim up which both go through the blue wire - I have continuity for trailer up thru the blue but not trim up. Trim down on green is fine. I would have to assume since the blue circuit works for trailer up, it must be in the handle with that switch. If the switch is not going to make the connection then nothing from the pump back matters! Is that handle serviceable or replaceable?

rickasbury

For those following....got the handle off but man...the pig tail for the rocker switch is 3 ft long- and then plugs into another harness...then to the pump. Comments on rinker, that connector has bright connector pins so not the cheapest ones and there was a piece of wire twisted around the connector to keep it from getting yanked apart. So I have the switch in hand, wire pulled all over the boat..I best be right!

Bondo

Staff member
For those following....got the handle off but man...the pig tail for the rocker switch is 3 ft long- and then plugs into another harness...then to the pump. Comments on rinker, that connector has bright connector pins so not the cheapest ones and there was a piece of wire twisted around the connector to keep it from getting yanked apart. So I have the switch in hand, wire pulled all over the boat..I best be right!
Ayuh,..... Now that ya got it all torn apart,.....

How does the original switch meter out,..??

rickasbury

Ayuh,..... Now that ya got it all torn apart,.....

How does the original switch meter out,..??
It does not...the up has no continuity as suspected, got a new one ordered and hopefully that will be it!
Thanks all, will respond back if not..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You could pull the switch apart and clean the contacts and reassemble

rickasbury

You could pull the switch apart and clean the contacts and reassemble
I was going to try that but I would not want to be back where I'm at now in a couple of weeks...100 bucks and it will hopefully be fixed..

rickasbury

So the new switch functions but notice filling the reservoir there is water in the system...I pulled it and see a crack....so....is there a way to flush out the system?

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
So the new switch functions but notice filling the reservoir there is water in the system...I pulled it and see a crack....so....is there a way to flush out the system?
My 1st question would be, "where did the water come from?". Flushing will be a PITA evolution. Empty, refill, cycle up and down a few time, then repeat till all water is gone.

Or, disconnect the hydraulic lines from the rams, install some tubing to redirect the ram oil and lift and lower the drive a few times to force all the oil / water out. Drain oil / water from pump tank and lines. Connect everything back up and fill with new oil.

How much water was in tank?

Last edited:

rickasbury

My 1st question would be, "where did the water come from?". Flushing will be a PITA evolution. Empty, refill, cycle up and down a few time, then repeat till all water is gone.

Or, disconnect the hydraulic lines from the rams, install some tubing to redirect the ram oil and lift and lower the drive a few times to force all the oil / water out. Drain oil / water from pump tank and lines. Connect everything back up and fill with new oil.

How much water was in tank?
So there is a crack on the top of the reservoir...I've been hosing and cleaning the bilge. I trailer and there is no leaking from the rams so have to assume they are not pulling water in? It had enough water to turn the fluid pink?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The rams can allow water into the system, without PTT oil leaking out.

Replace the reservoir and the fluid and bleed the rest of the water out of it. Launch and monitor for new water. You can be lazy (and cheep) and just suck the oil out of the reservoir and replace it every time the water builds up too much.

rickasbury

The rams can allow water into the system, without PTT oil leaking out.

Replace the reservoir and the fluid and bleed the rest of the water out of it. Launch and monitor for new water. You can be lazy (and cheep) and just suck the oil out of the reservoir and replace it every time the water builds up too much.
Well that sucks to know! But thanks. I have the new one coming and hope that's the majority. One thing I noticed, I have the trim up, I pulled the lines off the pump- I expected the out drive to drop. Perhaps this is the way it locks in if you blow a line on the water....worn rams seals I can see taking on water but the boat has 300 hours on it...

rickasbury

So..trim is now working perfectly at the switch. If I pull off the low pressure line and run the pump with new fluid, will that flush it?

Bondo

Staff member
So..trim is now working perfectly at the switch. If I pull off the low pressure line and run the pump with new fluid, will that flush it?
Ayuh,..... Sorta,.... But, it's not a circular circuit like P/S, but a push/ pull circuit,....