Merc trim pump

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Was not sure if this was the right section or not...03 350 mpi/bravo three, 2007 with 300 hours.
Have had the boat 9 or so years and the trim up has never worked. For up I bump it with the trailer up - also seem to be trying the down/trailer up and the selonoid clicks but does not ingage...keep bumping and it connects. Does not do this all the time...new batteries and on shore power...I jumped the trim limiter to rule that out...sounds like the seloniods are functioning....something in the rocker switch in the handle or could it be bad selonoids?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you jumpered the trim limit switch and she still won't trim, and you need to bump the trailer switch to make it engage, I would say the wiring is bad. Since she does trim up and down, the solenoids are good, and the power to them is good. I would check the trim and tilt wiring, where it is in common first.

rickasbury

If you jumpered the trim limit switch and she still won't trim, and you need to bump the trailer switch to make it engage, I would say the wiring is bad. Since she does trim up and down, the solenoids are good, and the power to them is good. I would check the trim and tilt wiring, where it is in common first.
Thx..that's what I was thinking..

rickasbury

So, how do I check the wiring from the handle to confirm its in the wire...could be a connection issue at a plug...lots of things...

Bondo

Staff member
So, how do I check the wiring from the handle to confirm its in the wire...could be a connection issue at a plug...lots of things...
Ayuh,..... With a multimeter, from the pump end of the wiring,.....

I'd start by removin', 'n cleanin' All the wirin' connections at the pump, 'n battery,.....

rickasbury

Ayuh,..... With a multimeter, from the pump end of the wiring,.....

I'd start by removin', 'n cleanin' All the wirin' connections at the pump, 'n battery,.....
Hey Bondo, long time no talk to as well! Yes, that's were i was going...as always looking for a quick fix....which even I should know better by now...I will go this and see if it fixes it. I'm looking for the wiring now...maybe is just wired wrong! I don't think it ever worked right....how do I check the continuity on that switch? Pump end I get...where on the switch end?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Hey Bondo, long time no talk to as well! Yes, that's were i was going...as always looking for a quick fix....which even I should know better by now...I will go this and see if it fixes it. I'm looking for the wiring now...maybe is just wired wrong! I don't think it ever worked right....how do I check the continuity on that switch? Pump end I get...where on the switch end?
Ayuh,..... Hi Rick,..... At the pump end, you'll see continuity 'tween the red wire, 'n blue wire when the button is pushed up, 'n 'tween the red, 'n green when the button is pushed down,.....

rickasbury

Ayuh,..... Hi Rick,..... At the pump end, you'll see continuity 'tween the red wire, 'n blue wire when the button is pushed up, 'n 'tween the red, 'n green when the button is pushed down,.....
But there are 3 button positions...down,up and trailer..as I'm trying to figure why just the up is not clicking the selonoid. I did test up and down via jumping the selonoid so no issues with power or the selonoid.

Bondo

Staff member
But there are 3 button positions...down,up and trailer..as I'm trying to figure why just the up is not clicking the selonoid. I did test up and down via jumping the selonoid so no issues with power or the selonoid.
Ayuh,..... Inside the transom, jumper/ by-pass the trim limit switch,....

rickasbury

Ayuh,..... Inside the transom, jumper/ by-pass the trim limit switch,....
I have done that also as noted in the thread. Since the pump runs up and down by jumping the selonoid at the pump so I'd guess we are trying to figure out if the switch at the helm is not .. Instructions were offered for checking continuity for the up and down but did not include trailer up- unless I can test the up side the same way with both up positions of the switch? And that is at the harness discounted at the pump correct? šŸ˜³

Bondo

Staff member
I have done that also as noted in the thread. Since the pump runs up and down by jumping the selonoid at the pump so I'd guess we are trying to figure out if the switch at the helm is not .. Instructions were offered for checking continuity for the up and down but did not include trailer up- unless I can test the up side the same way with both up positions of the switch? And that is at the harness discounted at the pump correct? šŸ˜³
Ayuh,..... Up, 'n trailer are the same circuit, til the limit switch,.....

rickasbury

So...I checked continuity at the plug in all 3 positions..trailer up and down are good. Just up is not. I pulled apart the lume at the plug in the transom...there are buut plug connectors...and a splitter on the blue going into 2 wires but looks good..next move?

Bondo

Staff member
So...I checked continuity at the plug in all 3 positions..trailer up and down are good. Just up is not. I pulled apart the lume at the plug in the transom...there are buut plug connectors...and a splitter on the blue going into 2 wires but looks good..next move?
Ayuh,..... You can meter the 2 wires that go out to the limit switch,...
Should be connected when down, open when up,....

By-passin' at that point should power the blue wire at the pump, with the forward trim switch up,....

rickasbury

Ayuh,..... You can meter the 2 wires that go out to the limit switch,...
Should be connected when down, open when up,....

By-passin' at that point should power the blue wire at the pump, with the forward trim switch up,....
So....don't think we are on the same page here at all! I am not getting continuity from the switch at the handle and the plug at the pump- so nothing after that really does not matter does it? Far as I know everything from the pump side of that plug is working fine. The switch in the handle for the up position is not working. Is that handle servicable?

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
So....don't think we are on the same page here at all! I am not getting continuity from the switch at the handle and the plug at the pump- so nothing after that really does not matter does it? Far as I know everything from the pump side of that plug is working fine. The switch in the handle for the up position is not working. Is that handle servicable?
Yes, they are serviceable. Many videos on youtube showing how to do it. Manuals are available online for the mercruiser controls. If you can't find them, I have PDF copies. If you need one, please send a PM, as I don't come here often and will get email saying I have a PM.

Those switches in the handle are available form multiple sources, including Amazon, but I can't vouch for the quality of them.

Last edited:

rickasbury

Yes, they are serviceable. Many videos on youtube showing how to do it. Manuals are available online for the mercruiser controls. If you can't find them, I have PDF copies.

Those switches in the handle are available form multiple sources, including Amazon, but I can't vouch for the quality of them.
Thanks- I see that the handle is removable and there is a harness connector at the handle so hopefully a problem at the handle connection. Boat has 300 hours on it so hard to imagine the switch being worn out-

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The Up circuit runs through the trim limit switch,.... then to the pump,....

rickasbury

Ayuh,.... The Up circuit runs through the trim limit switch,.... then to the pump,....
I'm sure I'm not understanding. I unplugged the control side of the plug at the pump. I tested the continuity by pressing the switch and checking the green and blue wires coming from the control side switch. Down has continuity, trailer up has continuity but just up does not- so the problem is in-between the switch at the helm and the plug BEFORE its plugged in so the trim limit switch right now is not part of the issue. I agree that once that the switch is resolved and I plug the control harness into the pump below and it still does not work that would next on the list- just not that far along yet- unless I am mis reading my findings so far!

rickasbury

"Ayuh,..... With a multimeter, from the pump end of the wiring,....." bondo- you offered this check which I did and the up failed continuity. I assumed I was to checking the unplugged plug at the harness where it connects at the pump . I'm checking on the posts at the plug, not the actual wires. So if it is not plugged together, why am I concerned with the limit switch? Or should I be checking by probing the wires while it is plugged in at the pump? I know I'm missing something really simple....I'm not an electrical guy so this is hard for me....I have the handle off and I'm trying to see if I get the same result right at the handle and I'm not...don't understand that...and there is another wire other than the red, blue and green....it does not come out at the end of the harness at the plug...

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
I'm checking on the posts at the plug, not the actual wires. So if it is not plugged together, why am I concerned with the limit switch? Or should I be checking by probing the wires while it is plugged in at the pump? I know I'm missing something really simple....
Ayuh,..... For this to work,..... Where the trim limit switch hooks to the harness, the wires that connect to the 2 trim limit switch wires, need to be connected to each other, to pass power to the blue wire at the pump,....