Merc repair manuals?

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was considering hitting eBay up for a Mercury Outboard Repair & Boat Motor Service Manual : All Mercury Outboards 1965-1989 40hp - 115hp

It's by Seloc.

Are they fairly well detailed? I want to learn how to do my own work on this engine. It seemed pretty general in description. 24 years of engines with that range of HP? Are they all pretty much the same during this period?

Anyways.. it would be $50. Are they worth the $$$$$ to a noob?

MrLundt

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Merc repair manuals?

I have a shop manual by Clymer. Covers similar time span and hp range. I have not found it to be helpful for my motor. Out of a 30 page chapter there may be 3 or 4 paragraphs that apply to my specific motor. Some of the general information is helpful but if you have a specific concern, you may not find any info on it. I just ordered a shop manual from Mercury that is specific to my motor. Haven't gotten it yet to let you know if I'm any more satisfied w/ it, though. It was $71. I'm thinking it might be worth the extra $21 to get a manual that is specific to your motor. If you're still shopping after I get my manual, I'll submit another post w/ my review of the manual I get and let you know if I thought it was worth it.

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

That would be great. I talked to an iBoats rep and it's even more to ship it up to me here than eBay.

I'm hitting the marina on Friday to look around but I am not making any final decisions until I've shopped around ALOT. So your review will be extremely helpful there :) I want it kept in mind that I don't know squat about small engine repair. I know basic repair of large engines... (Starters, alternators, pumps, etc.) but I thought maybe a manual would help me learn.

Heck. I used those Haynes manuals to learn how to fix my cars... And I turned out ok there. Now where does this turny thingy go in the whosamacallit?

jst

Recruit

I have a manual - I believe it is the Clymer manual which is for the Mariner size and year models you mentioned. I sold my boat that had the Mariner 150 on it, so I do not need the manual anymore. If you are interested send me a PM and we can discuss price, etc.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Go to a public librairy and see what is on the shelf. It could give you an idea if a seloc or cylmer manual is suitable for your needs. I prefer the manufacturers books. My dealer ordered one for me.

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a manual - I believe it is the Clymer manual which is for the Mariner size and year models you mentioned. I sold my boat that had the Mariner 150 on it, so I do not need the manual anymore. If you are interested send me a PM and we can discuss price, etc.

Will do. I am going to check into 1) library and 2) specific make and model manual first. Then I will contact you.

And Jimmbo... I am off to the library this weekend :)

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I bought all three manuals for my motor (Mercury, Clymer, and Seloc). It might seem crazy but as a newbie to 2-stroke outboard maintenance and repair, I found that each one had something extra to offer. One might have better drawings/pics, another might have better explanations of a particular task, and another might have better general maintenance/repair information useful to a newbie 2-stroke mechanic. Since I was committed to doing all of my own work on the motor, the cost of the extra manuals was minor in comparison to what I would have paid a boat shop to do the work. Having said that, if you are committed to buying only one manual, the Mercury shop manual is the best choice.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

I'd vote for the Factory Merc manual. They are on eBay all time and sell much cheaper than sticker price.

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought all three manuals for my motor (Mercury, Clymer, and Seloc). It might seem crazy but as a newbie to 2-stroke outboard maintenance and repair, I found that each one had something extra to offer. One might have better drawings/pics, another might have better explanations of a particular task, and another might have better general maintenance/repair information useful to a newbie 2-stroke mechanic. Since I was committed to doing all of my own work on the motor, the cost of the extra manuals was minor in comparison to what I would have paid a boat shop to do the work. Having said that, if you are committed to buying only one manual, the Mercury shop manual is the best choice.

Well I am definitely committed to doing my own work after finding out the hourly rate at the marina. I could save 20% by going to a guy inland :)

So I think it is time I learned how to work and fix and rebuild a 2 stroke engine. I am sure it will come in handy when I want more HP and go buy another engine.

MrLundt

Seaman Apprentice

I got my Merc manual in the mail when I got home Thursday. Already looked it over cover to cover. My initial impression is that is will be more helpful because it is more specific to the model I have. It does cover a HP range of 70 to 115 but the 70, 80, and 90 are similar engines and the 100 and 115 are similar. Having seen this and having owned a Clymer and tried to use it for a recent repair, I would recommend the Manufacturer's Merc manual.

kiksav

Cadet

I totally agree with purchasing as many different manuals as you can afford. I have the Mercury factory as well as the Seloc. There is possitive info in both books. I purchased my Mercury factory manual on ebay. Saved a huge chunk of $$. Good luck