Merc MCM260 5.7 Starter R&R

BuzzM

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 9, 2003
Messages
69
Don has convinced me to address my starter problem on my 1984 Merc MCM260, which is the GM 5.7. It is in a 25' Sunrunner cruiser.I have replaced a number of auto starters, but am hesitant on the boat. I can see the bolt closest to the starboard side and can reach it. The other bolt is on the other side of teh starter mounting part, I assume, well under the engine. It seems very tight to get a wrench and my hand anywhere near it.<br />Does anyone have any tips on how to get at it. I also noticed warnings of " broken bolts ", and that also causes me to wimp out a bit. I guess that would mean removal of the engine to get them out. Also, if I can get the thing loose, should I remove the various wires & cable before I pull it out.. or prior to? Then , I'll have the problem of wiggling it out from between the top of the floor of the compartment & the bilge. <br />The manual says simply, " remove bolts and remove starter". If anyone has actually done this, I'd appreciate any ideas.
 

DHPMARINE

Captain
Joined
Dec 16, 2003
Messages
3,688
Re: Merc MCM260 5.7 Starter R&R

Disconnect the battery and go after it.The wires first is a good idea.<br />Gotta go find the Ben-Gay.Alleave and such.<br /><br />DHP
 

Bondo

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
71,535
Re: Merc MCM260 5.7 Starter R&R

The 2nd bolt is about 4" Inside of the 1 you found..... <br />Right where the Oil Pan,+ Flywheel Cover Plate can get in the Way.........<br /><br />Getting TO it is Always a Problem on Boats.....<br />You're There,.... It's up to you to Unbolt,+ Unscrew Whatever Fluff,+ Hardware that's In Your Way.........<br /><br />It's Not unheard of to Have to pull the engine....... I Don't Know about Your Boat........<br /><br />Disconnect the Batteries 1st,........<br />Then unhook the Wires,+ pull them back out of your way......<br />Then try to get a socket onto the bolts.........<br /><br />Good Luck...........
 

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Joined
Oct 19, 2003
Messages
5,627
Re: Merc MCM260 5.7 Starter R&R

I have replaced a number of auto starters, but am hesitant on the boat.
Nothing to be hesitant about - if it breaks or strips, there's nothing to be done except pull the engine. If it comes out, then all the better! :D The point is that if the bolt is rusted up and seized, then there isn't anything anyone can do - including taking it to a shop - short of pulling the engine. So go for it and you might be pleasantly surprized. ;)
 
Top