Merc L6- 165 Exhaust Manifold

gilbau

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
5
I am rebuilding a twin engine Stancraft, the engines are approx 1980 (s/n 4885943 and 4885947) and I have just noticed that the exhaust manifolds are different. Should they be the same type?
 

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Apr 3, 2009
Messages
299
Re: Merc L6- 165 Exhaust Manifold

Hi Guys:

Without knowing what it is you actually have it's a little difficult to know whether they are wrong or not. As far as I know there may be differences in the style of different manufacturers but I believe they should be the same if they're the same engines.

kilowatts
 

gilbau

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
5
Re: Merc L6- 165 Exhaust Manifold

One is a Barr the other OSCO. one is for a 250HP the other for 250 to 290, as the major plumbing system for cooling seem to be the same think I will go for the 250 hp replacement.
Many thanks.
 

ziggy

Admiral
Joined
Jun 30, 2004
Messages
7,473
Re: Merc L6- 165 Exhaust Manifold

since yer s/n's are right together, surely the manifolds were the same from mercruiser. as for your barr osco dilemma. imho, i think i'd go for which ever the one you have that looks like it has the most life left in it. or R&R them both and have a fresh starting point. kinda pricey i'm sure though. obvioulsy what you have, granted being different, are both applicable since they both work...
 

gilbau

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
5
Re: Merc L6- 165 Exhaust Manifold

both manifolds are clogged so I will get replacements, fortunately both risers seem in pretty good condition.
 

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
1,146
Re: Merc L6- 165 Exhaust Manifold

You can pull the end plates and rod them out. Just be sure to leak test afterwards.
 
Top