merc. knock noise

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1990 4.3L merc. with alpha 1 - is it normal to hear a knocking noise only when prop is in up position? I noticed it while in idle and it goes away as soon as i lower prop. I was thinking time to check gimbal bearing but not sure<br /><br />Also, is there an alternate to anti seize compound ie: greese? I have to finish a starter job and do not have anti seize.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: merc. knock noise

DO NOT run the engine with the drive in the up position. <br /><br />Use grease on the prop shaft, not EVER seize.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...... Any Higher that the trim position is putting Extreme Stresses on the U-Joints,+ Gimbel Bearing,........<br />'Course it's Knocking,........ Don't Do It............<br /><br />If you're worried about Never-Siezing the Starter Bolts,.........<br />Ahhhh,.......<br />Try This,......<br />V<br />V<br />V<br />V<br />V<br />V<br />V

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I occasionally have to get thru shallow waters where i have to lift prop slightly to go but I never go fast ...just enough to move.<br /><br />Actually, there is slight knock in prop down position - only when increasing rpm from idle. It goes away at idle. <br />It sounds like the gimbal is going? Can you run like this or is risk of other issues? <br /><br />Also, PO left anti theft prop lock with no removal socket. Now what?

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by tystick:<br /> vvvv?
Any Grease is Better, Than No Grease At All...

Don S

You probably have ujoint problems, not gimbal bearing problems.<br /><br />
Can you run like this or is risk of other issues? <br />
If the gimbal bearing locks up, the transom shield will be damaged beyound repair, if the ujoints come apart it can take out the transom shield and the drive.<br />Do you feel lucky?

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

don, <br />what makes you think ujoint problem instead of gimbal bearing? From what I can read in archives, ujoint issues seem to be related to hard steering left or/and right.<br /> <br />I am all set for gimbal replacement so will check ujoint. What to look for? <br />What is the link for the ujoint install?<br /><br />Any ideas on prop lock problem?<br /><br />thx robert

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Don S:<br />[QB] You probably have ujoint problems, not gimbal bearing problems.<br /> I am curious why you said this. Please enlighten me

Don S

Experience. <br />Gimbal bearing usually make a rumbeling noise all the time and it gets worse when you turn.<br />Ujoints when worn out make a knocking noise.... In most cases<br /><br />Prop Lock??? Geeezzzz, I don't even lock my house, truck, or boat, how do you lock a prop?

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

this is not Ketchikan AK. <br /><br />I am in a place called NY where props have been know to walk by themselves even with bad ujoints!!!!!!!!!!!! :) <br /><br />Similar to an auto - lock is attached to one stud, a special socket comes with theses stud loakc for removal.<br /><br />Would ujoints only make knock noise when turning?<br /><br /><br />Don, <br />Does mercstuff or anyone else have a "how do I" section on ujoints? I see the gimbal bearing but not ujoint.<br />thx robert

Don S

I am in a place called NY where props have been know to walk by themselves even with bad ujoints!!!!!!!!!!!!
When you say prop, do you mean the complete drive? A prop is just the thing with the blades on it that spins and makes the boat move.<br /><br />
Would ujoints only make knock noise when turning?<br />
They could, just depends on how bad they are.

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, outdrive is what i should have said. I always thought money is what made a boat move!! <br /><br />Anyway , I still have a lock on drive that is the issue. Any auto guys will know what they are. In fact , they are commonly sold in boat stores so somebody besides Don who doesn't lock anything :) knows the answer.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A small hand grinder is the only safe way I know to take off lockable nuts. Do not torch it. Rubber prop hubs and shaft seals can be ruined. Grind, turn, grind, it will safely come off.

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wouldn't a bent shaft have these vibration symptoms at all rpms? Can i rule out ujoints if the vibration occurs when boat is stationary - no steering? <br /> <br />Actually i believe it is a slight shudder or vibration after engine warms up a bit at about 2000 rpm and will stop above or below that. Funny that it does not occur at start up - only after running a while.