Merc hard start

Jsiples

Seaman
I had the boat out all summer last year ran close to excellent. Got it out this spring was very very hard to start. When I did get it running, it was very rough. I throttled up manually just a bit as I heard it is bad to give a lot of gas out of the water on muffs. It then seemed to run out pretty good from that point on. Still having issues starting back up even after it is warmed up?? Just curious other than a tune-up of any suggestions and why after winter? It was winterized correctly. This is an I4 Merc 140hp. Gas treatment? Carb? Fuel line? I changed the in-line fuel filter already as well this spring.

Aquaman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Merc hard start

If it was winterized correctly then the engine cylinders were "fogged" with oil. Change the spark plugs.

Jsiples

Seaman

Yes, I believe you are right. When I pulled them individually they were saturated. I cleaned them up, but it sounds like they need replaced.....How likely would you say that the points, condenser, etc. need replaced? It ran and started off a half of a crank all year last year??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A full tuneup should be done EVERY spring. Especially the points. But the cap, rotor, sparkplugs should all be replaced, along with setting the dwell, and resetting the timing since dwell affect timing.
Then you adjust the carb mixture and idle speeds, check your timing advance advance

Jsiples

Seaman

Thanks Don, I have always gone by the assumption that some of the worst issues are usually corrected by paying attention to the most obvious things.