merc exhaust that go's out to prop

bobboater1

Seaman
how often does the EXHAUST PIPE in the back of the motor go bad..89 350 merc. i ofton read of new manifolds but never read about these. i looked it up on one site like $550 for the pipe as putting in my new motor soon would like some input
bob

$$$$ its adding up. but i knew it would

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: merc exhaust that go's out to prop

They seldom go bad. Especially in fresh water. In salt water the ends where the exhaust hoses attach corrode away. IF the tops of the pipes are OK, and it doesn't leak water into the boat from a crack, you should be fine.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

A buddies 1988 or so 190 Baja had the Y pipe corroded out....the boat was fresh water all it's life, but does spend most of it's time in a slip so that may have excabberated the corrosion. His problem was down where the Y pipe joins the transom assembly. Good thing he caught it in time...we were rafted off and noticed his bilge pump was woking overtime trying to keep up with the water intrusion.
He works for a high performance marine shop and did all the work himself so no idea of what it would cost.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

cant hurt to replace the oring seal at the tplate and for a closer inspection with it removed.

Bondo

Staff member

Another thing to Look for is a Burnt/ Busted Flapper Valve,......
They can fall down into the Y-pipe,+ Wear a Hole in it......