Merc audio warning system not working and engine won't crank

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 07 Bayliner 185 with 3.0 Mercruiser Alpha and I went out to de-winterize it today but when I turn the key to start the boat, nothing happens. No clicking, nothing. The battery is charged and all the accessories work including the power trim. The thing I've noticed is that when I turn on the key I do not get the audio warning system test beeps nor the solid tone you get after. I'm assuming these must be related, but I don't know how. Thanks in advance for helping me and the family get out on the water this year. :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Merc audio warning system not working and engine won't crank

Start at the engine with a DVM, and check for power to the circuit breaker on the engine, and then on to the ignition switch.

Also check that square fuse on the starter solenoid.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Might want to connect the safety tether cord?
Good Luck Muc

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Was just printing out the adult sticky engine start problem and heading out to the boat. I'm assuming DVM = digital volt meter? I'll check for the starter solenoid fuse also. I did notice that when resetting the engine circuit breaker with the key on, my volt gauge only shows volts when it's reset vs. tripped.

Thanks for the speedy reply Don S!

Don S

I did notice that when resetting the engine circuit breaker with the key on, my volt gauge only shows volts when it's reset vs. tripped.

That means you are using your meter wrong. Hook the black lead to a good ground. Then use the red lead to check each of the terminals to check for power.
What you did was use a test lead on each terminal of the circuit breaker. Which tells me the breaker is working, and that your problem is not on the engine. I would be looking for power on the red terminal on the ign. sw. and look for a fuse in the purple wire coming off the ignition switch.

Bondo

Staff member

Quote:
I did notice that when resetting the engine circuit breaker with the key on, my volt gauge only shows volts when it's reset vs. tripped.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That means you are using your meter wrong. Hook the black lead to a good ground. Then use the red lead to check each of the terminals to check for power.
What you did was use a test lead on each terminal of the circuit breaker. Which tells me the breaker is working, and that your problem is not on the engine. I would be looking for power on the red terminal on the ign. sw. and look for a fuse in the purple wire coming off the ignition switch.

Ayuh,... You might be gettin' ahead of the game Don,...
I think he's talkin' about the Dash Voltmeter....

Sounds like it's a Dead Short somewhere....

I'd start back at the Battery,+ make sure it's All hooked up Right...

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... You might be gettin' ahead of the game Don,...
I think he's talkin' about the Dash Voltmeter....

I was talking about the dash...sorry. To be thorough, I went out and started with the basics. Even though the trim, horn, lights etc were working I took battery out and cleaned up the terminals nice with a wire brush. Volt meter reads 13.3 on the battery itself. I put it back in and connected all the wires back and now the audio warning system sounds immediately...with the key off or out. If I move the key to the on or start position the alarm goes silent and the engine doesn't crank still.

Don S

Was anything installed at the helm after it was winterized. Maybe a GPS, or depthsounder, or __________?

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

I think I need to walk away from this thing for a few. LOL Disregard the last post because when I put the battery back in the boat I put it in backwards, and you guessed it...I put the cables on reversed as a result. Fixed that and I'm back to square one. I REALLY appreciate the help you are providing me!

Nothing was installed on the boat over the winter.

Don S

Check that square fuse on the starter.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Meters out with continuity 0 ohms

Don S

WIth power on, check the voltage at the small terminal on the block fuse. If you have it there, check the input of the circuit breaker. If you have it there, then turn the breaker on and check the other side of the breaker. If you have it there, check the red wire on the ignition switch.

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

13vdc everywhere

Don S

OK, turn the ignition switch to on. Do you have power to the purple wire, if so, does the purple wire lead to a fuse?

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

11vdc off and 13vdc on at purple wire. Looks like purple runs to the warning horn

Don S

What do you mean 11VDC off ???????
How exactly are you taking these readings?
You should have the black lead of your meter on a ground and the red lead checking the terminal.

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

I do. Not a boat guy but I was a military avionics guy for

12 years so I know how to use a dvm. Doesn't make sense to me either having 11vdc off.

Don S

Remove the purple wire from the ign. sw. then check the voltage on the switch again with it on and off. Also check the wire with it disconnected and see if it is getting any power from somewhere else.

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

I stand corrected. Purple wire has nothing on it and neither does red one. My helper was using a bad ground wire and I didn't catch it. I have 13vdc everywhere on engine but nothing at ignition switch