Merc alpha1 gen 1 shift cable

Coach G

Cadet
Im looking for some help. Im redoing a mercruiser 3.0 with alpha1 gen1. Got the boat cheap. changing gimble bearing(rusted) bellows water hoses. Background -Motor is out of boat. Outdrive is off. Now, im removing the intermediate housing got the 2 bolts of on the sides but im looking at shift cable it looks good no rust shift properly i dont think i need to change it and all the bellows actually look good but i already bought them. So how doi proceed with shift cable can i remove the back long square piece and pull housing off or do i needto pull cable all out which im trying to avoid.

Attachments

• photo338579.jpg
    photo338579.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Yes, you will need to pull the plastic sheath through the shift bellows. The procedure would be the same as a gen 2 shift bellow. There’s some good you tube videos on how to do it.

If you know the measurements of the old cable are within spec and you are not replacing the cable, I start at the shift linkage on the engine. I remove the plastic end off the core. I unthread the brass body off of the cable, then go back down to the drive and pull the entire core out of the cable by pulling on square shift plunger.

I loosen the Bellow hose clamp off of the gimbal housing. I tie a string to the end of the shift cable sheath up by the engine, turn the outdrive full port, then pull the sheath and bellow out of the gimbal housing.

Untie the pull string, mark the sheath where the old bellow was, remove the old bellow. Use plenty of lube on the new bellow and work it into the sheath stopping at the mark. Tie on the string. Have someone pull the String while you guide it through the gimbal housing. I use black RTV on the flange, then slip the bellow onto the flange, tighten the hose clamp, snug. Put the shift cable back together. Use two wire ties to secure the bellow to the shift cable. You will need to perform a shift cable adjustment procedure once completed.

I use this method instead of loosening the nut securing the cable In the bell housing. That nut can sometimes be seized, and if it breaks the end of the cable sheath, it’s game over.....time for a new shift cable.

good luck.

Coach G

Cadet
Ok just to confirm i absolutely have to take the shift cable out to remove bell housing. I cant slip bell housing out by removing the aluminum bracket slip it out and leave cable alone?

Coach G

Cadet
Ive looked and looked everywhere. Just cant find out how i take out the bracket out from the cable. Whats holding the bracket at the end of the cable a screw? Dies the bracket turn on the screw that srcured by wire? I know this is a simple answer but i just cant find it? Any help? See my first pic for exact piece. Thank you.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
1 SLOW DOWN 2 find a link for a manual
From inside the boat loosen the 2 square head screws and remove the black plastic end
loosen the brass nut,unscrew guide
verify plastic spirial wrap is removed from cable
from outside the boat, pull shift slide and core free
from inside the boat acquire a old control cable core from a shop, usually free and pass thru casing
pull gimbal and cable free leaving the solid core

Last edited:

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
YOU MUST UPGRADE YOUR SHIFT SHAFT SEAL!!!!! There was a revision by Mercruiser in the early 90's. the shift shaft seal is what your cable is actuating. Your seal allows water into you shift cable area and bellows as evident by the oxidation of your aluminum. Mercruiser upgraded to a double lip seal, it installs from the bottom.

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
why create work, if bellows are good stay with them. they are a royal PIA to change. If not stored in the water I wouldn't change until they leaked. If boat stored in water that's a different story.

Coach G

Cadet
YOU MUST UPGRADE YOUR SHIFT SHAFT SEAL!!!!! There was a revision by Mercruiser in the early 90's. the shift shaft seal is what your cable is actuating. Your seal allows water into you shift cable area and bellows as evident by the oxidation of your aluminum. Mercruiser upgraded to a double lip seal, it installs from the bottom.

Ok if i buy a new cable kit comes with parts does it come with new type seal. Is there any pics i can see. Not quite sure when u say installs from bottome. I do have motor out outdrive off so getting to anything is pretty easy right now and I did download manual. Thank you

dubs283

Vice Admiral
the shift cable kit comes with everything you need to replace the cable, bellows and drive mounting gasket/orings

the shift shaft seal previously mentioned is purchased separately and requires a special tool to install properly, probably need to replace the actuator arm too, often they are corroded and break when removing. any local merc auth shop that knows what they are doing can install it for you in about ten minutes. bring them doughnuts, they'll treat you nice

sounds like you're going pretty deep into fixing up your boat, take the time now to change all the transom bellows/rubber. yeah people say its a terrible job and yeah the first one you do stinks but you're this far, take the time to do it right

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
i used a socket and extension to drive the seal in through bottom hole. that how all the water got into your bellows that don't need changed is through the shift shaft seal. Absolutely critical you slow down and find the service manual on this website and read and understand. The good news is you are getting an incredible education!!!!!!!!!!!! which will pay huge dividends down the road with future boats. You won't be waiting for 3 weeks at the service department and getting $1500 bills!!!!!

ONLY USE MERCRUISER OEM QUICKSILVER PARTS FOR BELLOWS, SHIFT CABLE AND EVERYTHING THAT IS DIFFICULT TO CHANGE. easy stuff like alternator use sierra etc.

reach in and pull and yank on your bellows. are they pliable? if so and zero rips there good i changed bellows that were 30 years old and could gone another 30 years

Coach G

Cadet
Thank you to allllll. If anyone has additional advice keep it coming. Im going to redo housing and worry about the seal after, if I understand correctly that double lip seal is in the actual outdrive is this correct? My only other thing now is i ordered a shift cable and complete bellows set fro. Marine specialties, however i ordered aftermarket which was half the price. I dont plan on keeping the boat for a long time but wanted safety of being in the ocean and not sinking.

Coach G

Cadet
Please advise on complete seal part # if anyone knows it..i looked and i only see gen2 part. is gen1 and gen2 same part?
How many pieces should i habe in a complete kit without arm inc...my arms good.

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
the gen 2 part will fit the gen 1. the change took place around 199?. Original part was just a lip seal, new part extended a little into the exhaust passage.

Mercruiser Alpha One Shift Shaft Bushing 87561 18-2622 23-805041A2​

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
google this: mercruiser shift cable replacement
Plenty of video and instructional video
Also this: mercruiser manual 6 in pdf

Coach G

Cadet
Thank you gentlemen.....im moving forward if i dont become a bother please advise as i put this back together and post. I did download manual and do look @videos and read.