Merc Alpha style prop nut retention for VP SX?

harringtondav

Commander
Thread starter
Joined
May 26, 2018
Messages
2,523
Merc Alpha Gen II for 25 yrs. VP SX for one yr. I prefer the Merc prop nut retention system. You'd think a simple SS cotter pin would be easier. Not for me. I carry a spare wheel and locking hardware in the boat. Now I need a needle nose pliers. ...same prop nut wrench as I used on my Alpha. I use the galvanized prop wrench as a hammer to drive out the cotter pin before I pitch it and grab a new one from the zip lock.
Whine whine, I know. Is there an aftermarket kit available to mimic the Merc splined notched brass aft washer? The nut is the same hex, so I could replace it with a nyloc and use the Merc SS bend tab nut retainer.
 
Top