Merc 90 Wiring... where to find?

CharlieZulu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Folks, while I am diagnosing my other little problem, where can I get a wiring diagram of my motor? I do have two decent manuals already (Seloc and Merc) but they only show ignition wiring and I need to see the alarm wiring.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc 90 Wiring... where to find?

Try Maxrules.com. They have lots of wiring diaghrams

CharlieZulu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, but been there and they don't have what I am looking for. Lots of ignition diagrams, etc but I have never seen diagrams which address the alarm systems in particular. I am looking for Low Oil, Temp, etc and how the motor interfaces with the Control Unit.

Maybe this is because they interface with various Control Units, and they are all different? See what I mean??
37.jpg
??

I can't believe how difficult this is turning out to be!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That is a wiring diaghram for an inline six ADI motor. I did not think they came with warning systems.

You might try a V6 motor. They should have what you want in terms of wiring diaghrams, I would think. The V6 motors sometimes had a temp sensor and a gauge temp sender, so they would use unique wires. If both heads had temp sensors, they would be connected together on the starboard side of the block. Temp sensors ground when they detect an overheat condition. Since the alarm is wired in series with the temp sensor, the horn will then sound. The low oil sensor should be on the motor resevoir. It is also wired in series with the horn.

What control unit are you referring to?

carholme

Rear Admiral

Charlie;

Do you have the s/n of your engine? I see a manual a bit newer than yours but the diagrams may help you.

Gerry

carholme

Rear Admiral

Charlie;

That s/n 0B174401-09 comes up as a model:

1080727 MERCURY 1987 80

Parts listing:

1080727 MERCURY 1987 80

Service Manual: p/n 90-13645-2

The wiring diagrams here may be of assistance to you.

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/13645_2/cover.pdf

If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Gerry

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK so you want to know what wires run to the MerControl? Does the Mercontrol have a buzzer inside, or is that exclusively a Johnnyrude feeature?

The wiring diaghram shows an 8 pin connector. There will be two more wires for PTT. They will be external to the 8 pin connector. The tan overheat wire will be in the harness and there should be an additonal pin for it