Merc 9.8 problem

vaccfam

Seaman Apprentice
When in reverse, my motor raises up out of the water. i thought it was supposed to lock when it was put in reverse. is there a simple adjustment that I can make to prevent this.<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />Mike

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Merc 9.8 problem

check the reverse lock mechanism, might be stuch, also the clamp on the shift rid, is it there?

Skinsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How old is your 9.8? I've worked on many older motors where the reverse lock mechanism is pretty much inoperative, and very difficult to fix. <br /><br />There is a plastic knob connected to the shift shaft, just above the gearcase. It is spiral cut, and as you shift it turns, which in turn moves an arm which rides in the spiral cut, that moves the reverse locks downward. Usually either the plastic knob has stripped and is not rotating with the gearcase, or the arm bushings have gone bad and it slips out of the knob.<br /><br />This probably doesn't help at all...<br /><br />Scott.

vaccfam

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for your suggestions. I will check these things out.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I agree with Scott. Many of the Mercury reverse lock mechanisms leave much to be desired, particularly after they went "cheap" with the plastic parts...<br />- Scott