Merc 7.4 MPI splutters and excessive oil usage

jezzb

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
9
Hi, I find my Merc 7.4MPI consuming oil - more than normal. When I start the engine, it smokes white a bit but nothing out of this world - only just as it fires up - and only after I havn't used the boat for 5 days or so. I read on this forum that the oil cooler may be leaking. How can I tell if the oil cooler is leaking without a pressure test? Are there any visible traces? Something which I should look for?

One more problem I have - which came up after I took the boat out of the water for the winter (no winterising done as I start the engine every 3 to 4 weeks), is that it starts OK and after a couple of second it splutters and start shaking - and it works fine for some seconds and starts spluttering again. When I increase the throttle it seems to works fine. What can the problem be?

Thanks - Jezz
 

Bondo

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
71,535
Re: Merc 7.4 MPI splutters and excessive oil usage

I read on this forum that the oil cooler may be leaking. How can I tell if the oil cooler is leaking without a pressure test? Are there any visible traces? Something which I should look for?

Ayuh,... Oil in the Exhaust Water....

As for the rest of your Problems,....
I would think a Full Srevice,+ Tune-up, along with a full Compression,+ Leak-down Tests would narrow down What you're looking for....

It could be as simple as Fuel Filters,.....
Or,...
It could be Much Worse....
 

jezzb

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
9
Re: Merc 7.4 MPI splutters and excessive oil usage

I am starting to scratch my head now.... I did a total overhaul of the engine 2 years a go and it only has 70 hrs. Last season I fitted a new pair of stainless steel, one piece manifolds. The Oil usage has been there since the overhaul. Can it still be what you guys think it is ?

Thanks for all your replies

Jezz
 

jezzb

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
9
Re: Merc 7.4 MPI splutters and excessive oil usage

Thanks Bubba, I will start with a compression test and take it from there.

Kind Regards
Jezzb
 

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
5,391
Re: Merc 7.4 MPI splutters and excessive oil usage

2 questions....

First what color is the smoke on start up.... Is it white, black, blueish/grey??

Second.... what brand and weight oil are you running in this motor?
 

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Jul 11, 2007
Messages
1,172
Re: Merc 7.4 MPI splutters and excessive oil usage

One more problem I have - which came up after I took the boat out of the water for the winter (no winterising done as I start the engine every 3 to 4 weeks),
Thanks - Jezz

Where do you live does it get down to freezing? If so, just starting it every couple of weeks wont solve the problems that winterizing does...
 
Top