Merc 650 started...ran ...quit...help!

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice
For those of you who have not been following my problem, here is a short description:<br /><br />1966 Mercury(merc 650) 65hp 4cyl. Been on lake 3 times. Engine died at full throttle in midle of lake. Ran hard all day(3rd time out), then slowly started to lose speed. <br /><br />I was reading my manual and i came across something called vaper lock. So I performed a prodedure they described. It involved removing plugs, grounding leads, cranking 10 times, cleaning plugs and returning them. Then trying to start.<br /><br />It would not start after that. Then I had someone try to start it and I used a screwdriver to push on a lever that opens the flap in the carbs. It fired up and was running great with the warm up lever all the way up. I lowered the warm up lever and it ran for a few seconds then started to sputter. I lowered it all the way and then it stoped. I tried to start it after that and it would not start again. I did notice white smoke coming out of the bottom carb.<br /><br />I have concluded that there is something wrong with the regulation of the air and fuel. Please let me know if I am completely wrong, or what I need to do. Thanks.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Merc 650 started...ran ...quit...help!

Hi,Artjo.<br /> Before doing anything else, rent or buy a compression guage, and run a compression test. I don't think you ARE copletely wrong, but I do suspect you'll find compression problems. The reason being, is the white smoke. Air/fuel mixture should only go one way, and that is in past the reeds. It may be you dropped a reed, or have a timing problem (causing it to fire on an open reed,when the reed should be closed. If this is the case,check the flywheel/crankshaft key first.