merc 650 died in middle of lake

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice
HELP.........I just purchased a 1966 Starcraft w/ a 66 Merc 650, 65 hp, 4 cyl. I have had it on the water 3 times. It was running great every time, but then it quit. I was going full throttle for about 15 minutes then it started slowing down with out me touching anything. It idled for a while, still full throttle. I pulled it in to nuetral then it stoped and will not start. Turns over and sometimes catches but does not run. I would like to know what the problem could be before I take it to a shop. Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.<br /><br />------------------

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: merc 650 died in middle of lake

You will want to determine whether the problem is fuel or ignition.<br />Shoot some WD40 down the carb throat (about a 1 second burst) and see if it fires-off,even momentarily.<br />If it does, it is a fuel delivery problem.<br />If not it is ignition.<br />Once you know that, you can start the [sometimes long] process of narowing it dowm to the cause.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

12 Foot's advice is right on. I'd only add to be sure to check the obvious things first. One time a buddy of mine set his 6 gallon fuel tank (full) on top of the fuel hose which caused the engine to fuel starve and die. He discovered this only after he'd been towed back to the dock... Oops!<br /><br />Hopefully your problem is minor! Good luck! Walt

crazyray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree guys I would also check the compression on this engine first though... be sure it is close to normal and such then if thats good the wd 40 trick really works.... just be careful if motor coughs back can flash back out the carbs.....

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

All good advice Artjo....I would definately lean toward a fuel problem, but just another thought...was there any indication of overheating?

dw711

Seaman

I've also done the whole fuel tank on the gas line thing. Does your tank have a vented cap if so make sure it's open.Does the primer bulb pump until its hard? Sure sounds fuel related.<br /><br />good luck hope it's something simple (cheap)

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone. I tried the wd-40 trick. Nothing happend. There were no signs of overheating. I was told it could be the points. Is this a hard job to do for someone who doesnt know anything about marine engines. The boat sat in storage for 15 years and has only been used a few times since the previous owner bought it 5 years ago. I was told the engine has never had any work done to it. Only tune ups. Should I expect more problems like this.