Merc 40 highspeed problem

will941s

Chief Petty Officer
Have a 1996 Mercury 40, 4 Cylinder 2-stroke with oil injection. When I got the motor I cleaned the carbs, replaced plugs, checked Compression (120psi), changed water pump, and replaced the switch box and voltage regulator...which were bad. I also checked the stator, and trigger per manual and they were fine. I timed the motor at TDC idle and 30 BTDC at cranking speeds...which timed right at 32 degrees at WOT.

Heres the issue, at idle it purs like a kitten, and has TONS of power through the power range. When you hit WOT it backs off and surges like a limiter is kicking in or something. If you disconnect the throttle linkage and move the trigger separate (opening the carbs by hand) it'll pick up and max out timing and never skip a beat, just when you move the carbs to the max point is when it surges. The only way it don't surge while doing this is to advance the timing and keep the carb linkage about 1/2'' back from max point on the carbs. If this makes sense.

Can anyone offer some pointers on this....already spent a TON on electrical components on this motor. Thanks for the help.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Merc 40 highspeed problem

Sure sounds like the max timing is off. Did you verify the pointer was adjusted correctly?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

check butterflys at full throttle, maybe they are going past dead level

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Checked and rechecked timing....everything up there seems good to go. I can max the timing all day long, just when I open the throttle all the way is when it cuts back. I will check the plates again to make sure they are dead level and get back with the results. Thanks for the help.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Check fuel pump output, it acts like it is not getting enough fuel for WOT.

Switch a section of fuel hose between the fuel pump and carbs with a temporary clear hose, run the motor and watch for any air bubbles passing thru the hose, indicating air sucking into the fuel system somewhere before the fuel pump. Aftermarket quick connect fittings are notorious for failing O-ring seals.

Once finished with all repairs be SURE to remove the clear hose as it is NOT rated nor recommended for fuel use, only for short term testing.