Merc 3.0LX bogging around 1200-1400 rpm (in gear only)

MikeDobbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the boats running a lot better, but there's still something off about the engine.

When moving from about 1200 or 1400 rpm it starts to die out, and I have to "goose" the throttle a touch to pump some gas down into the carb. Once I get it past that spot it runs great.

Boat idles fine, and throttles up to about the 1200-1400 range fine, but I can't get past that rpm with a smooth throttle motion- I need to pump it a little. Once past that spot it runs just fine and response to throttle inputs predictably at least as far as I can tell. Ideas?

Just changed all fuel filters. Also have been working on adjusting the timing, but something seems off about it. I can put it at 1 degree BTDC in base timing mode- but then when I reset it to normal operations, it seems to advance too much. For example, at 900 or so rpm it should have about 14-16 degrees of advance according to the manual, but it's running more like 18 or 20. Is there any way to fix this? Or does that mean I need a new module of something?
So the boats running a lot better, but there's still something off about the engine.

When moving from about 1200 or 1400 rpm it starts to die out, and I have to "goose" the throttle a touch to pump some gas down into the carb. Once I get it past that spot it runs great.

Boat idles fine, and throttles up to about the 1200-1400 range fine, but I can't get past that rpm with a smooth throttle motion- I need to pump it a little. Once past that spot it runs just fine and response to throttle inputs predictably at least as far as I can tell. Ideas?

Just changed all fuel filters. Also have been working on adjusting the timing, but something seems off about it. I can put it at 1 degree BTDC in base timing mode- but then when I reset it to normal operations, it seems to advance too much. For example, at 900 or so rpm it should have about 14-16 degrees of advance according to the manual, but it's running more like 18 or 20. Is there any way to fix this? Or does that mean I need a new module of something?