merc 3.0 motor mount wood choice

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am replacing the mount..I pulled out what appears to be a rough cut actual 2x6 not sure if its hard wood or soft..It had a 3/4" piece of plywood mated with it..
My question is this
Should I be looking for a special wood to replace this(was kinda getting hung up on the douglass fir thing) , or is basic lumber fine? seems like alot of pine around me..

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: merc 3.0 motor mount wood choice

I am replacing the mount..I pulled out what appears to be a rough cut actual 2x6 not sure if its hard wood or soft..It had a 3/4" piece of plywood mated with it..
My question is this
Should I be looking for a special wood to replace this(was kinda getting hung up on the douglass fir thing) , or is basic lumber fine? seems like alot of pine around me..

Thanks

Ayuh,... I'd build it up with P/T plywood...Laminated to size...

MEATBALL0309

Cadet

just curous i have a 3.0 as well what was the 2x6 for. most 3.0 i have seen have a wishbone metal mount the is bolted onto what appears to be glassed plywood at the bottom of the bilge area. was the 2x6 under the plywood.

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just curous i have a 3.0 as well what was the 2x6 for. most 3.0 i have seen have a wishbone metal mount the is bolted onto what appears to be glassed plywood at the bottom of the bilge area. was the 2x6 under the plywood.
The 2x6 was at one time laminated i guess with a peice of 3/4" plywood. Sides cut to match the angle of the hull.the ply was between the 2x6 and the hull, then a blanket of roven woven over that tabbed onto the deck.
So in total for my boat the sandwiched mount was 2-3/4" thick minus the glasswork.and it has been confirmed that my 2x6 was made from oak. at least thats what they are telling me.had a piece here in the shop.carpenter cut it to match forme