Merc 3.0 belt replacements can be challenging time-wise, but would you,

Fun Times

Staff member
Try doing it this way? As it seems sort of similar to compression in general of Merc vs VW, etc..

I think I’d end up in the hospital with something missing with my luck trying something of these sorts.😳

Just for fun, Any tricks of the trade to share like these out there?

airshot

Rear Admiral
What is so difficult, could change mine in a half hour or less. I always kept a spare zip tied in place so only had a couple of bolts to loosen to slide the new one into place. Now...if you can't acess your motor.....thats another story !!

Bondo

Staff member
Try doing it this way? As it seems sort of similar to compression in general of Merc vs VW, etc..

I think I’d end up in the hospital with something missing with my luck trying something of these sorts.😳

Just for fun, Any tricks of the trade to share like these out there?

Ayuh,..... That won't work on a 3.0l Merc, as the motor mount is in the way,....

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,..... That won't work on a 3.0l Merc, as the motor mount is in the way,....
exactly... one of the motor mounts goes THROUGH the center of the belt. other than that, its an easy job. Not that its HARD, mind you, just need a way to support the engine when you remove the mount.

airshot

Rear Admiral
You remove the mount in your driveway and add another belt, just zip tie it off to the side. When you old belt breaks, just loosen the alternator and slip the new belt in place. Adjust and go. Most everyone I know with a 3.0 does this, even got that tip right hear on iboats.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You remove the mount in your driveway and add another belt, just zip tie it off to the side. When you old belt breaks, just loosen the alternator and slip the new belt in place. Adjust and go. Most everyone I know with a 3.0 does this, even got that tip right hear on iboats.
Sounds like a good idea. However, I didn't need to replace the belt until about 30 years, so I figured I wouldn't need to do it again in my lifetime.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like a good idea. However, I didn't need to replace the belt until about 30 years, so I figured I wouldn't need to do it again in my lifetime.

the one on my Galaxy was original when I replaced it last year..... so 43 years old.... about 15 of those were off the water though.... I do see a point in having a spare though, if it breaks at an "inopportune" time, its not like you can jury rig something quick to get you home..... having the spare right there could be the difference between a "minor inconvenience" and an Oh $hit moment on the water

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
the one on my Galaxy was original when I replaced it last year..... so 43 years old.... about 15 of those were off the water though.... I do see a point in having a spare though, if it breaks at an "inopportune" time, its not like you can jury rig something quick to get you home..... having the spare right there could be the difference between a "minor inconvenience" and an Oh $hit moment on the water
Being anal about getting home without a tow, I have ALWAYS carried an emergency belt. Orange in color with snap together fixtures, it can be installed in seconds with no tools.

Scott06

Admiral
Same here the original belt was on my '91 3.0 when I sold it in 2016, hoses too...

Scott06

Admiral
Ayuh,..... The #1 belt killer on our marine motors, is rusty pulleys,.....

Keep the pulleys clean / painted, 'n a belt will last darn near forever,.....
this is the day I sold that boat in 2016 (25 yrs old not a lick of rust on the pulleys ... easier in freshwater.

Attachments

• 3.0.jpg
    3.0.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 11