merc 200 hp carb 1997

my motor is doing what i"ve read some other guys have done, bogging down for a few seconds then taking off sometimes it takes a couple of tries so I just started the decarb process and when I started spraying the Quicksilver product in the carbs I noticed the top starboard carb seemed to be spitting some of the product out,none of the other ones just that one.I"ve done a compression

check and its 120 every cylinder,Any ideas anyone?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: merc 200 hp carb 1997

my motor is doing what i"ve read some other guys have done, bogging down for a few seconds then taking off sometimes it takes a couple of tries so I just started the decarb process and when I started spraying the Quicksilver product in the carbs I noticed the top starboard carb seemed to be spitting some of the product out,none of the other ones just that one.I"ve done a compression

check and its 120 every cylinder,Any ideas anyone?

Could be a broken reed in that cylinder. It won't lower compression, but that hole should miss at idle. Won't take anything off top either, once you get there.

hope it helps
John

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: merc 200 hp carb 1997

fuel pump will also do that ( not keeping up with the load) but look at your situation . when was the last time the carbs were rebuilt ( could be a stuck float or a needle not seating and letting in too much fuel ) the primer bulb could also be doing it -when it happens check the bulb is going soft ? all of these things are relatively inexpensive to do and easy for a beginner with some mech. skills - it should also be doen every few years just for safety sake