Memorial Day Launch Ramp Antics

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I grew tired of the launch ramp, and have since kept my boat in a slip, but I couldn't resist going to the parking lot across from the launch for a few minutes last weekend.

First thing I saw a 35-40ft go fast getting ready to launch, nice truck pulling it, figure it had to be a 100k boat. backs it in nicely, goes and parks the truck. Starts starboard engine fine, but port wouldn't start. see him going into and out of the cabin, watched him tie up the ramp for about 45 minutes. Never did see if he got it started.

While all this is going on, I watch a small cuddy launch, gets the boat floating and goes to start it, except he has a dead battery, I watch him go back to the truck, pull trailer out, turn the boat around stern to the ramp, and pull the truck back down with front tires in the water to jump start it. He got it running, I only hope that it didn't stall while on the water, cuz I don't think he could get his truck out of the harbor to jump it again. Seriously, if my boat has a dead battery, there is now way I'm leaving the dock.

I carry two batteries on board, one dedicated starting battery, and one deep cycle that I use for the electronics while I'm trolling with my kicker.

I don't know if either of these guys had a good day or not, I only know that there is a marine towing company based out of the same harbor, and I'm sure these are the people that keep them in business.

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Memorial Day Launch Ramp Antics

my wife and I have our routine down pat at the ramp. we have everything ready to go when the boat and motorhome go down the ramp. I sit in the boat and when it floats off I am out of there. she goes back around to camp site and I motor around. but the boat has been pre-fired on the ramp (nice thing about jet boats). but we have set with great interest and watched some pretty funny antics at the ramp. I carry a small jump start pack in the boat for emergency starts. I have never had to use it, but it has gotten me into the water quicker by starting someones else's boat. memorial day is the best. You know who is going to have problems right off the bat. the boat still has a winter load of dust on it. and spider web from the helm to the seat as they get in and try to fire up. yep funny stuff!

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe I am overly considerate when it comes to my fellow boaters. Or it could be a little OCD! I always park my boat on the lawn before heading out, hook up the muffs, start it and make sure everything works. It's also the wife and daughter's cue to get out from in front of the mirror with the bathing suits on, and pack lunch for the cooler! We get everything ready before we back down the ramp. Stern plug in, blower on, bow line out, life jackets on, etc. Even after I know everything should work and the boat should fire right up, I do not unhook the bow from the winch strap until the wife starts the boat. Then I park the trailer while she vacates the area for the next guy. We are in and out of there in about 5 min. max. I am always amazed at the floundering that goes on at boat ramps. It's usually entertaining unless it is me that is being held up.:rolleyes:

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am paranoid about being the guy that holds everyone up. I too start it on the muffs before we leave the house.

Lucky thing too. Last Sat we were going out, i hooked the muffs up and started it, no biggie, i wasnt going to check the oil since we just had it out the Weds before, but i dropped my cell phone and managed to kick it in a crack i couldnt reach without opening the engine cover and reaching in behind the rear seat.

Well, I noticed a drip coming from my quick disconnect block drain, i reach down and give the line a shake and the water pressure blows it off, turns out the O-ring was rotten, luckily it didnt happen when we were out there, the outlet is facing to the stern so i probably woulnt have noticed till the water got high enough in the bilge.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am paranoid about being the guy that holds everyone up. I too start it on the muffs before we leave the house.

Lucky thing too. Last Sat we were going out, i hooked the muffs up and started it, no biggie, i wasnt going to check the oil since we just had it out the Weds before, but i dropped my cell phone and managed to kick it in a crack i couldnt reach without opening the engine cover and reaching in behind the rear seat.

Well, I noticed a drip coming from my quick disconnect block drain, i reach down and give the line a shake and the water pressure blows it off, turns out the O-ring was rotten, luckily it didnt happen when we were out there, the outlet is facing to the stern so i probably woulnt have noticed till the water got high enough in the bilge.

So that's what cell phones are for!!

Night_Basser

Cadet

Me and my dad have our routine that always amazes people for some reason. We have our Bass boat and are in and out in 5 minutes tops. I'll hop out, take the 2 straps off the back, he'll undue the transom brace and put the plug in, I hop in the boat, he backs the boat in the water while I am lowering the engine, start it up as soon as it hits the water and then I'm off and out of the way.

Then getting back on, as he's putting the trailer in, I'm easing the boat towards it, then as i hit the trailer i gas up the throttle as it slides on, he snaps on the saftey chain, and we are out.

It's neat to see a normal boat launch on a sunny day and how badly unorganized it is and all the stupid people out there. I've been to a couple tournaments with our boat, and we can have 50 boats in and gone within 30 minutes. And back out in less then that.

Minuteman

Seaman Apprentice

Most people reported smaller than usual crowds on Memorial Day in my area. We stayed off that week, but the next week was beautiful and the ramps were not too busy. The usual guy parked on the ramp doing stuff that should be done in the lots, but slow enough that you could find an open ramp.