MDO board

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am rebuilding my hatches and I'm going to use 3/4" outdoor wood paneling. A guy from a quality lumber store said to use MDO paneling. He said it won't sag or bow like regular outdoor paneling. From what I understand, MDO is plywood with a thin veneer of MDF board on each side. This is what helps to keep it flat. Anyone know about this stuff?

amidaeus

Seaman
Re: MDO board

I know that MDF will fall apart like a graham cracker soaked in milk if it gets wet...

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One use of MDO is by sign shops for limited use outdoor signage. It is a very good grade of plywood, but has a life when left exposed to the elements. It will outlast regular or treated (green) plywood. There are mfg'ers of a pressure treated plywood with a really long life and warranty. Do a search on the web for lifetime warranty plywood. One company that makes a lifetime warranty plywood is Greenwood greenwoodproducts.com The plywood is call XL

Bondo

Staff member

I once worked for a sign co...... MDO will last as long as the paint,+ primer on it.....<br />A Smoother surface for sign painting, but doesn't last any longer than CDX,.. Just Smoother Longer....<br /><br />I've used P/T plywood in all My boat work......Epoxy sticks Just Fine........

Ralph 123

Captain

MDO is used for the large interstate highway signs as I recall... I have a boat building tape where the builder uses nothing but MDO for all stringers and bulkheads.<br /><br />
Called MDO, or medium density overlay, it's engineered plywood with a resin treated fiber applied to both faces. This gives an extremely smooth finish that is easy to paint. In addition it's rated for exterior use, which means it is safe from the elements, insects, or other outdoor hazards, making it a perfect choice for the new deck or porch.Overlaid Plywood <br />MDO Medium Density Overlaid<br /><br />MDO Plywood - The Paintable General Purpose Panel <br />Characteristics: An EXTERIOR type plywood with a weather-resistant resin overlay bonded to the wood by heat and pressure. This process fuses the molecules of the overlay with the fibres of the wood to form a bond as strong as the wood itself. MDO has all the advantages of regular plywood as well as additional proprerties. The overlay, which has 28% resin content, resists water, weather, wear and degradation. It has texture that paint can grip with remarkable tenacity. Paint finishes on MDO are up to three times more durable than the same finish applied to ordinary plywood.Ideal for Painted Signs: In many instances, overlaid MDO plywood has proven a more durable sign material than metal. MDO plywood is resistant to the elements with no danger of rust or corrosion. <br /><br /> http://www.canply.org/english/products/overlaidplywood.htm <br />

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,........ MDO Is Great Signboard.........<br /><br />Here's a Bondo Translation for you,... <br /><br />" The overlay, which has 28% resin content, resists water, weather, wear and degradation. "<br /><br />The Other 72% is Paper ..........<br />
MDO will last as long as the paint,+ primer on it.....<br />A Smoother surface for sign painting, but doesn't last any longer than CDX,.. Just Smoother Longer....<br /><br />I've used P/T plywood in all My boat work......Epoxy sticks Just Fine........
I stand by This.........<br /><br />When Bonding stringers, Bulkheads,+ Transoms,..<br />Smoothness of the Sub-strates Really Don't Help, At All.......<br />You're More Likely to end up with a Resin Starved Joint.............<br /><br />Or, Atleast That's My experince.........<br /><br /><br />BTW, Ralph, Did you ever find the Shift Switches you need ??<br />I've only found the 1 sitting here on My desk,... I'm Still Looking though......

Ralph 123

Captain

Bondo, This guy totally rebuils boats for a living and according to him, fibergalss bonds to it like nothing he has ever used (perhaps that's why paint lasts so long on it?) He no longer uses anything but MDO.<br /><br />The tape is "Fiberglass repair with Bruce M" produced by Bennet Marine Video. In the taper he toally rebuild a late 70s/ early 80s like 30' Bilgeliner. He replaces the transom, all the stringers, bulheads and decks. I'm in pian just watching him :) <br /><br />I still haven't found my switches... email me if you want to part with that one. One on the engine with the PS is better than nothing ;-)