MD11C VP 2cyl.

Seafari20

Recruit
There is no external levers for decompression so my question is because i can spin tge engine over by hand fairly easy, it it an automatic decompression set up until tge engine gets spinning faster or starts? Thanks for any input.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
There is no external levers for decompression so my question is because i can spin tge engine over by hand fairly easy, it it an automatic decompression set up until tge engine gets spinning faster or starts? Thanks for any input.
Don’t think so. If it’s the engine I’m thinking of. It’s just a small engine. Although it shouldn’t be really easy to turn over by hand, if she has good compression and oil pressure. She will blow blue smoke out the back if she’s not healthy. If she doesn’t…don’t worry yourself too much. Use good old fashioned mineral oil in her. She’ll last for decades more.

Seafari20

Recruit
Yes a small 23hp twin cylinder volvo Penta. I have it apart with the exhaust manifold off. Being its raw water cooled all the water jackets are really blocked up with black crap. Trying to figure out how and what to use to clean the water jackets out.

Seafari20

Recruit
I read somewhere tgat some of the MDs that didnt have tge manual levers for decompression that there was some type of centrificle devise on the cam system that its on decompression mide until you get tge rpm s up. It has a large heavy flywheel and are made so you can hand crank to start if your starter fails or battery dies. Any input on this feature would be greatful. 👍

Seafari20

Recruit
From what i can tell, the wngine was nade from 1974-1980 ish, most of them you can see the decompression lever in the valve cover. Mine does not have it. Is there such thing as auto decompression on these engines as i read on another forum i found online?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Yes a small 23hp twin cylinder volvo Penta. I have it apart with the exhaust manifold off. Being its raw water cooled all the water jackets are really blocked up with black crap. Trying to figure out how and what to use to clean the water jackets out.
I used evaporust thermocure

Full disclosure this was on an antique car for different corrosion potential but removed a ton of crap from my cooling system runs about 15 degrees cooler after two treatments. Biggest issue I had was accessing the crud in there. Engine is in the car and running so could only drain the block via two small pipe plugs on either oil pan rail. Would imagine if you can soak the manifold or parts its should clean up.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
From what i can tell, the wngine was nade from 1974-1980 ish, most of them you can see the decompression lever in the valve cover. Mine does not have it. Is there such thing as auto decompression on these engines as i read on another forum i found online?
It’s possible. But I suspect the difference is that you may have one of the later models with a starter motor and not the earlier engine that could be either hand started or in some cases (emergency life boats…) air started.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Thanks for the input guys, its a beast of a flywheel on it so i guess if you can spin the heavy thing it turns the engine over easily. Sorry for the confusion, seafari20 was a temporary id, until i fixed my password. 🙈👍

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for the input guys, its a beast of a flywheel on it so i guess if you can spin the heavy thing it turns the engine over easily. Sorry for the confusion, seafari20 was a temporary id, until i fixed my password. 🙈👍
you can have a mod combine the two ID's