MC-1 shift cable threading stripped

wxkl

Cadet
Hello,
I have an MC1 that has been giving me some real problems. Now, I'm putting it all back together and I'm trying to install my shift cable but that part of the bell housing is a bit corroded. The tapped section where you'd screw the shift cable in is corroded and the shift cable isn't screwing in well.
I suppose I could just buy a new bell housing, but I wanted to check here and see if there's an acceptable workaround. Maybe just repairing with JB weld or that Quick Steel or some other epoxy putty that is drillable and tappable? Pulling the cable and putting a nut on the other side? Something else? How much stress will there be on that cable, anyways?

Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
theres an easier way, stand by a few

Last edited:

wxkl

Cadet
Ah interesting! Thanks. Just to make sure I'm reading this right, a press fit + loctite is enough to keep it secure in there? Thanks again

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Correct ,its a tight fit and the Red Loc-Tite keeps it in place
This repair has been on for over a year in alt water with no issues of loosening.Threaded rod with some nuts and washers to draw it in

kenny nunez

Captain
Plan “B” If the thread repair does not work.
Obtain a 1/4” NPT straight thread tap and thread from the rear through to the front of the bell housing.
You could also use the tapered style pipe tap but you would may have to remove the bellhousing to do it.
Sierra # 18-2248
or
MCM #73723 A1. These part #s for the early style cables which screw in from front to rear versus rear to front and comes with the slider, wire and set screw.

When Mercruiser started switching to the later style of cable they had started providing the tap to thread through the bell housing from front to rear.

Last edited: