MC-1 New Shift Cable Won't go Through?

JimEd B

Seaman
Evening fellers,

Welp, I've got this incredibly frustrating bellows job just about knocked off (this is my first time).

I've been through every damn thing a guy could go through getting this baby patched up. I've bored and tapped for the new shift cable (was done previously, but brass fitting had to be drilled out).

Anyway, got everything buttoned up down to the dang shift cable. I've got a piece of wire through where the old cable went to pull the new housing through, bellows over the metal end of the outer cable housing, but the thing refuses to pass through the transom.

Anyone got some tricks or tips? I'm just about at my wits end with this thing.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
just cant pull it thru, it has to pass thru a small hole in the transom housing .Once thru the shift bellow, just feel your way thru but be careful not to enter the flywheel housing

JimEd B

Seaman
just cant pull it thru, it has to pass thru a small hole in the transom housing .Once thru the shift bellow, just feel your way thru but be careful not to enter the flywheel housing
MAN!!

I could kiss you. That was so easy it hurt my brain. I think I was blinded by frustration.

I walked back out there, and had it through in 30 seconds, on the first try. Thanks to you. I owe you a beverage sir, you rescued my Friday night.

I thought I was going to cry into this beer. Instead, its a celebration. Walking away from the boat for the night so I can savor the victory.

Thanks again.

-hj

Kman530

Seaman Apprentice
Evening fellers,

Welp, I've got this incredibly frustrating bellows job just about knocked off (this is my first time).

I've been through every damn thing a guy could go through getting this baby patched up. I've bored and tapped for the new shift cable (was done previously, but brass fitting had to be drilled out).

Anyway, got everything buttoned up down to the dang shift cable. I've got a piece of wire through where the old cable went to pull the new housing through, bellows over the metal end of the outer cable housing, but the thing refuses to pass through the transom.

Anyone got some tricks or tips? I'm just about at my wits end with this thing.
Had the same issue and it takes a few tries of using the cable as a “feeler” to find the hole in the transom. Where I was stuck was at the back of the engine, had to take a pair of needle nose while a friend pushed on the cable to help it make the turn at the engine/y-pipe.