Mc-1 lower unit on a alpha one upper unit.

cpt ron jc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mc-1 lower unit on a alpha one upper unit.

I found part of the problem,the person i bought it from put a new impeller on i took the impeller off and i found a small metal shim on the side of the shaft when i remove it i can get it in and out of gear no problem it turns nice what is it for,as far as the o ring on the shaft i will try again if not i will remove it,i do not have my old lower to compare it to i hope the shaft near the impeller is not longer i was told on the lower it should not matter,i will try it again i am going to a shop knows for sure,thanks much,RC

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I found part of the problem,the person i bought it from put a new impeller on i took the impeller off and i found a small metal shim on the side of the shaft when i remove it i can get it in and out of gear no problem it turns nice what is it for,as far as the o ring on the shaft i will try again if not i will remove it,i do not have my old lower to compare it to i hope the shaft near the impeller is not longer i was told on the lower it should not matter,i will try it again i am going to a shop knows for sure,thanks much,RC

That small metal "shim" on the shaft sure sounds like the REQUIRED shaft-impeller KEY. It is now easier to turn because the impeller is not turning! Please tell my you still have a key in place on the shaft! Please look at the diagrams in your manual.

cpt ron jc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes the key is in ,for some reason it was not turning at all i think the bolts on the impeller were to tight,so i took it apart and put it back together,everything is turning and shifting the way it should,i will try to put the lower on later thanks much,y guys been a great help,rc

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hold on I just did my impeller I have alpha one and on my lower unit noticed I have the o ring seal on top of the shaft below the splines. I tought these didn't come with o rings their. Well mine did and has a place for it in my upper unit when they mate upper and bottom. I tought the mc-1 was one with that o ring. Can anyone clear this up. jc since you have both lower off do both have that o ring on top of the shaft below the splines.

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And it went in pretty easy when I put back together

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you have the oring groove, it's not a problem, just leave the oring off. The MC-1 drives had the groove, the later models it was removed.

Untitled4.jpg

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just saw a pic of both and they both have o ring seal same place their no difference.

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ahhh I see. Mine has the o ring alpha one so both lower units had some changes in certain year weird. mc-1 had o rings and some didn't as well as the alpha one weird but hell good info damn I love iboats!

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What about you jc you got the o ring on their