MC-1 bellows clamp preferred locations

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ok, normally I would just put the clamps back in the approximate place they were, but that aint happening. Even using the flexible tool to get to the clamps, most of them were located in areas where there isnt even access for that.

Is there a preferred clocking on the clamps that while still difficult, isnt impossible. I ended up cutting the bellows to get the bellhousing off, and then fighting the clamps when I could see them.....

savery

Seaman Apprentice
Not sure what procedure you’re using, but I put the u joint bellows on the bell housing, the exhaust bellows, shift bellows and water hose on the transom. Push the shift cable through the bellows, then hook the water hose up to the bell housing and tighten the clamp, push the u joint bellows on the transom with the clamp on the starboard side with the screw head facing down and use a flex shaft to tighten. Then use the expander tool to pull the exhaust bellows on to the transom assembly. Position the exhaust hose clamp with the screw facing down and pull the bell housing up to access.

ScottinAZ

Not sure what procedure you’re using, but I put the u joint bellows on the bell housing, the exhaust bellows, shift bellows and water hose on the transom. Push the shift cable through the bellows, then hook the water hose up to the bell housing and tighten the clamp, push the u joint bellows on the transom with the clamp on the starboard side with the screw head facing down and use a flex shaft to tighten. Then use the expander tool to pull the exhaust bellows on to the transom assembly. Position the exhaust hose clamp with the screw facing down and pull the bell housing up to access.
Don’t really have a “procedure” I’m following. Yours seems like it will work nicely though. Was mostly seeing where folks aim the hose clamps for access when tightening. Mine were buried at 12 o clock on the joint bellows and 9o’clock behind the water tube for the exhaust. Couldn’t see them. Couldn’t feel them. Figured this wasn’t “best practice” so figured I’d ask here.

kenny nunez

Captain
You need a 1/4” universal socket and some 1/4” drive extensions with a driver handle.
The drive shaft bellows clamp should be a 1;30-2 o’clock on the starboard side of the transom plate. On the bell housing side the bellows clamp usually is at 3 o’clock on the port side above the water hose and the water hose clamp screw looking down. The water hose clamp on the transom plate is on top. The exhaust is clamp lines up with a hole on the port side of the transom plate. The rear clamp should look down on the port side.
With a length of coat hanger wire bent on the end with tight “J” hook you will be able to hold the clamps from moving away when tightening them.

ScottinAZ

You need a 1/4” universal socket and some 1/4” drive extensions with a driver handle.
The drive shaft bellows clamp should be a 1;30-2 o’clock on the starboard side of the transom plate. On the bell housing side the bellows clamp usually is at 3 o’clock on the port side above the water hose and the water hose clamp screw looking down. The water hose clamp on the transom plate is on top. The exhaust is clamp lines up with a hole on the port side of the transom plate. The rear clamp should look down on the port side.
With a length of coat hanger wire bent on the end with tight “J” hook you will be able to hold the clamps from moving away when tightening them.
perfect.... definitely not where the clamps were when I took it apart!!!

Bondo

Staff member
perfect.... definitely not where the clamps were when I took it apart!!!
Ayuh,..... The Merc shop manual is very specific on the clamp orientation, 'n I think Kenny is dead on, except for one point,....

Every bellows clamp I've seen is 5/16" socket, or straight blade screw driver,....
I use a 1/4" drive racket, several extensions, a wobbly, 'n a 5/16" socket,....

ScottinAZ

Ayuh,..... The Merc shop manual is very specific on the clamp orientation, 'n I think Kenny is dead on, except for one point,....

Every bellows clamp I've seen is 5/16" socket, or straight blade screw driver,....
I use a 1/4" drive racket, several extensions, a wobbly, 'n a 5/16" socket,....
Awesome. I have the #6 manual downloaded, but hadn’t checked it yet. Nice that it gets that specific. Clamps were indeed a 5/16 hex, at least on mine

kenny nunez

Captain
My bad on the socket size, 5/16” quarter drive is the correct tool. Also the shift cable boot clamp looks up next to the inner wall of the transom plate.

ScottinAZ

installed the bellows this morning. this info was invaluable. Much easier to handle the clamps when they are in the right positions.