maytag side by side refridge side not working

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Hi guys,hopefully someone can give me a tip before I call the "Lonely maytag repairman".All was fine until someone replaced the water filter which is in the rear of the top shelf.Dont know the rest of the story since I was not there but the bottom line is that the freezer is working fine but the refridge side is not going on at all.Anyone know if there is a reset button that I cant locate??? Like on my boats fridge.Any and all helpful comments are welcome.The s/b/s is only 4 years old.Thanks Charlie

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: maytag side by side refridge side not working

If your fridge is warm and the freezer is working, the problem more than likely is that your freezers auto defrost circuit is not working. You will have to remove the rear panel of the freezer(looking from inside the freezer) to see if you are all iced up.

Older refridgerators used a mechanical defrost timer. Yours is newer so it probably has the circuit board type. It is actually loated in the fridge side on top.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Charley, check to see if the air damper between the fridge and freezer got shut. A friend of mine had the same problem,,,,,I solved that one over the phone. His boys had a package blocking the vent that goes in to the fridge part.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I will take a look SS.Thanks for the reply.I dont know if that would do what it is doing though.When I slide the thermostat from off to high it does not even go on.It is like a circuit is blown .The freezer goes on and off with the the sliding of the stat control and the fridge does nothing.Charlie

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I think that knob your turning does not turn the compressor on. It opens or closes a vent that connects the two sides. It is usually a mechanical linkage that operates it. Sorta like a register in your heating system where you can turn down/up the air flow. Most that I have been around is usually located in the bottom.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The fridge temp control controls a small fan and air flapper between the freezer and the fridge. You may not be able to hear it.

The ice that I mentioned iin my previous post often blocks the air flow between the freezer and the fridge.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Ohhhhhhhhh,I assumed the fridge control was supposed to turn the fridge side on just like the freezer side does.Thanks guys,time to take a closer look now that I understand.Charlie